Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 94 s10 mid engine thing has leafs in the back. From the start the plan was to run caltracs. But looking at other similar s10's and comparing it to my own the caltracs sits dangeriously low and will probally hit stuff as this is meant to be driven on Michigan roads where a 6" pothole(on the highway), 4" railroad track, or just stupid real world grade changes are things you encounter.

So been looking at what caltracs do and other options then looked at my own pile. I have a nice amount of room over the axle. What if I put the triangle up there?

I made a simplistic sketch and think it should work.
Handwriting Font Art Slope Parallel

My leaf spring perches are already 1/8" thick so I think I can just weld a 1/8" shock mount to that and of course gusset and brace it.
Then I have a small rod which is the adjustment rod.
That connects to the triangle with the top of the triangle having a fixed point on the frame and a bushing so the triangle can rotate.
Then I have the big rod which might be a piece of tubing or square stock going to the spring bushing bolt. With a U at the front so it stradles the bushing bolt with bushings allowing it to move.
The big rod will have a rubber bumpstop on the bottom almost touching the spring.

When the pinion is rotated up under hard throttle the small bar is pushed up, big bar pushed down, bumpstop pushes down against the spring, and it should prevent axle wrap.

But before I spend $200+ and a few weeks figuring this out.

Is there a issue where this won't work?
Does someone already make this setup?

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Slept for a few hours. Looked at it again and the small bar would be more effective if mounted vertical.

So I made a slight change.
Handwriting Font Line Art Parallel

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a normal bar will be enough if I get the geometry correct. Good enough anyway. I dont care all that much about a 60ft time I just dont want the thing to break parts due to wheel hop.

At this point I just need to make sure to leave the area open for the large bar and upright. Not put coolant, brake, electrical, fuel lines, exhaust brackets etc in the area.

On the upright itself I am thinking of having the upper portion bolt to the axle housing/u bolt flange. This will let me make several designs (changes) without welding to the housing multiple times.
Rectangle Font Tints and shades Handwriting Illustration

1 - 5 of 5 Posts