Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I put up the tools against$300
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up at 3 o'clock in the morning a couple weeks ago and saw an ad for the "GrabIt" which is sorta the same thing as an EZ-out. It was $20 so I figured what the hell, picked up the phone and ordered it. It came in the mail yesterday and I gave it a shot today. I was surprised to find that it actually worked better than I thought it would. I pulled out 4 3" coarse thread deck screws that were stripped in a piece of oak in about 2 minutes. It wasn't advertised to work in steel but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. It removed sheetmetal screws with no problem, but I was unable to remove a broken 1/4 in bolt that had broken of in a piece of 1/8" angle iron.

I obviously have no interest in the marketing of the GrabIt, I just wanted to pass along a review of a tool that actually worked and did what it said it would do. Sure there are many other products that do the same thing. But for $20 I figured it was worth the money.

·
Registered
306 Posts
yeah i was wondering bout those i striped the head of one the screws that holds the cap on my MSD dizzy had a hell of a time getting it out. had to buy a set of needle nose vise grips. cant figure why that was in there that tight. the ez out didn't do anything but make the head of the screw worse

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used it a few times, I've had limited luck with it (2/5 times)

I guess it all depends on how seized the fastener is, im sure if the screw or nut was in a softer material (ie: wood) it wouldnt have issues removing.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
slightly off topic, but I just used the craftsman 'bolt outs' (made in USA :) ) and they look like impact sockets, but have a spiral design inside... 3/4" head bolt holding a skidplate in a 96 Jeep in the rust belt... with a breaker bar it removed the rounded bolt without hassle.

...the grabit works from the inside (like a screw) so I dunno... odd...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've had to use one that a co-worker keeps on himself at all times many times, and it was excellent to use. But, they are not really intended for steel-to-steel uses. For use proper applications, they are indispensable.

In a while, Chet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts