Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a SBC 400 over the weekend. The block was in a plastic bag. It was machined 4 years ago and was bored .30 over, honed, decked, cleaned, and all new freeze plugs/bearings. It has sat since then sealed in the corner of his garage. The owner had been oiling the cylinders, and bearings bi-monthly. The outside of the block and valley has some surface rust very lightly. All the areas that the rotating assembly go in look perfect. Do I need to take the motor to get honed again from sitting so long, or just throw it together?

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Take it apart, clean up the bores and make sure the rings are all not stuck and aligned right.
I'd check everything since it's easy to do now. Check bearing clearances, mike the crank, make sure all the bearings are the right size.
Treat it like a new rebuild. You're never sure what you got till you tear it apart and check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.