Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal. Me and my wife picked up our new dog friday night. He is a rottweiler. About 1 year old give or take a few months. We got him through a rottweiler rescue so we are not sure of his previous history or how he was teated. He is very wild, jumping and kinda mouthy with you hands. I know he needs some training so i am wondering if anyone has any experience in this area. I am trying hard not to smack him during corrections but he really does not seam to respond to any thing else. I know we need to be consistant with him, so i am looking for pointers of what to do and what not to do. We are going to take him to obedience calsses but they are not starting for like a month and i think he might have my wife over the edge by then. I even took him out in the yard sunday and last night and played ball with him for 15 minutes or so. He started laying down when he brought the ball back so i thought he was tired but when we got into the house he was just as wild....

I tried to attach a picture but don't know if it will work,

Thanks, Keith

Attachments

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Rotty

Nice looking dog.I have a three year old German Rottweiller,got her from an abusive dog owner at the age of 8 months.He was trying to make a fighter out of her.Dang thing about it she is pedigreed,not cheap and from a strong bloodline.She was timid,which is more worrisome than aggressive since she may snap at any time.I did have to discipline her b force on a few occasions,but they are smart animals and learn quickly.
I do not have her doing stupid pet tricks,but she knows when to eat,and when not to.She will show teeth if told,will not let anyone,including me wrestle with the kids or wife.Very protective of their territory,ie.cars,property,family;y.Good luck with her.Rotts are a good breed with a bad rap because of their size and strength.
One more note.Did you know the breed began in Germany as work dogs?They would pull meat carts to market,at the end of the day,the money made from sells was put in a sack and tied around their necks.Pretty good theft deterrent.

·
Registered
339 Posts
There is a great book you should get its by Richard Wolters its called "Family Dog". He says a good smack every now and then is the best way to get their attention. I have a crazy Jack Russell and a rolled up newspaper is the only way he will get the idea. I dont even have to swat him with it he knows what it does. This book focus mainly on Labs which I have also but it works for all dogs. The best word to teach them to understand is NO! Having fun and being happy is the next thing they should learn. Good Luck!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dog

rcastle,
This is only my second dog. The first was a lab/rot mix. we got him at around 2 1/2 / 3 years old so the puppy play was kinda gone with him. You are right about the strength of the rott's. I told someone yesterday he is one giant muscle with a snout!!!! This dog is ripped..... You can't touch a part on his body thats not a muscle... I noticed that all ready he is getting protective after only 4 days of being here.... I think he is pure bread also. I know he has all the right marks.... I am like you i really don't need him to be able to waltz, just obey some basic commands..... Any idea how long it takes to get there, Or should i say how long is a normal time for him to start learning the commands....

Maverick, I'll have to look and see if i can find that book. I agree i want the dog to be happy and have fun, but just trimmed down some. I really think he will respond to some basic training. I just have to find the correct way to administer it... L.O.L.

Keith

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
It took several months,my biggest concern was piling in myhouse.Those dogs leave pretty massive turds,even as pups.She loves tennis balls.I go thru them like gasoline.My wifes shoes were another problem,she was attracted to my wifes scent.When she left for work,Storm would chew her shoes,pants,shirts,etc.She never chewed up anything of mine,except some very expensive shoes I had.Broke her of that with a hit from the object she chewed up.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rottweiler.htm

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
i'll second the notion on the Richard Wolters books. I have a copy of his waterdogs training book, and it works. dogs respond better to negative verbal stimuli than my kids do. a harsh voice is all it take alot of times, never had to put more then a newspaper on my dogs butt to get the idea through. Yellow labrador.....
Hope your dog comes around, be patient, their very quick learners..... you just might have to help him unlearn some undesirable behaviors.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a german rotti, both parents were show dogs and he was of accurate size also at 90 lbs. Very bright and easy to train, I got him to perform basic commands like sit, lay and listen by how many times I would snap my fingers (no verbal communication needed). Since your dog is still a pup it may take a bit for it to catch on to being trained though. I never had to hoit my dog, for him being ignored worked best. If we didn't like what he was doing we'd turn our back on him and he would get upset that he was not being paid attention too. Really weird, but he would stop his disobedient behavior once he was showed attention again. Another thing that worked well for him was praising what he did that was correct.

Marc

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
KStar

The dog sounds young, if the dog was in the shelter at such a young age chances are it never learned how to act indoors.

Training classes are a good idea. Just take this time now to get the dog used to living with you. Dont encourage indoor "rough housing" Give the dog lots of attention whe hes behaving the way you like indoors. Take him outside and do what you have been doing rough hosuing and fecth etc. It would also help to get the dog started on a "routine" (dogs love routine) start feeding the dog at the same time everyday (trough feeding is always a bad idea) a full grown dog only needs breakfast and dinner. This will also help with the dog being "regular" too and hopefull you wont have alot of accidents. Also you can get the dog in a sleeping schedule (one that matches your familys).

I'd say right now get the dog used to its name. and used to your schedule. Most dogs do not take well to hitting. Affection and food are much better motivators. you gotta give the guy some space to get used to you, and realize that he may not be used to livinging indoors. "nipping" the hands can usually be straightened out by acting like the dogs "mother" . you can either grab the the dogs snout (very firmly) and say no or stick your thumbi n his mouth and forefinger on the outside of his mouth and pinch very firmly (thats what his momma did) he may yelp but the yelping is more of submissiveness than pain...

:evil:
gluck

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
I've always said about dogs and kids, you can have own them or they can own you. Like Maverick, the first thing I teach them is the meaning of the word "No".
you can either grab the the dogs snout (very firmly) and say no or stick your thumb in his mouth and forefinger on the outside of his mouth and pinch very firmly (thats what his momma did)
this works well, sometimes I'll hold the snout or take 2 fingers and give them a firm tap on the snout. Good luck. Dan

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dog

Thanks for all the replys and advise everyone. I did find some good web sites with forums like this one only about rottweilers. I think he will turn out ok. I just need the training........ L.O.L. I had my shop helper meet him last night and he was a like a perfect dog. He only jumped once and got right down....

keith

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have 2 great pitbulls and they got that way by being socialized evey chance i got. Crate trainning is the best for those turds, and when he gets mouthy press down on the top , middle of his tounge until he yelps, it sound horrible but it is very effective

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
I would recommend the book " The Koehler Method of Dog Training". It has certified techniques by movielands most experienced dog trainer. I've taken dog obediance lessons for my pit bull and german sheppard and I also worked for Guide Dogs of America.

If you haven't already you need to purchase a 6 foot leather leash and a choke chain that has about 2 inches of slack when pulled tight. Don't purchase nylon or chain, because they are uncomfortable and less effective. Use mink oil on the leather leash to keep it soft.

One of the first lessons I learned was to keep the dog near me because of the dog running off every time I would take the dog for walks. I would start with the dog sitting or standing next to me. I release the slack of the 6ft leash with your thumb through the loop of the handle and allow the dog to go off in the direction the dog wants. I immediatly run the oppisite direction at full speed. The dog suddenly gets yanked off its feet on its butt. Soon the dog will start following you. Every time the dogs attention starts to wander off, you repeat the lesson. I promiss you the dog will be paying more attention to you and want to stay closer so the dog doesn't get a negative response.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have done all my dog training, which has been mostly bird dogs. I start out with basic obedience training, which is applicable to all dogs, and when I am happy with that, I start the hunting unique training. From some of the posts, I can tell that some have some good training experience. I have ready many books on dog training and have had the most luck with one called "The Burnt Creek Method of Dog Training". While this is bird dog specific, the first chapters on obedience training is the best part of the book. The use of the "crate" (kennel) is described in detail and is used through out the dogs life. My present bird dog, a Brittany Spaniel, is a big pet 11 months out of the year and a bird dog for a one month. He lives in the house with us and travels with me almost daily. Thanks to the above mentioned book, his manners are impeccable, has never messed in the house (has vomited occasionally, but always en-route to the door). He will ride in or on anything, spends nights in the motels while on the road, or out West hunting and is never a problem. I recommend you get a specialized training collar for your Rotty that looks brutal, but is much more effective than spike or choke collars and much more humane. It has a series of u shaped links with 90 degree legs that fold in to squeeze the neck when the dog pulls on the leash. You can find them at any PetsMart. I can teach any trainable dog to lead and heel in three to four 15 min sessions and never say any thing but Heel and Whoa. When I am training, I focus on one task/command at a time until the dog has it down pat. I then move on to another task/command with and go back for a refresher on the previous tasks after 30 min of "reflection" time in the crate. Training is all business, and praise is with held until the dog is demonstrating he fully understands what you are trying to teach him/her. I never strike a dog, particularly any German Breed, or large Working Dogs. In my younger days, I used to put my bird dogs on their backs (a submissive position) and use a tiny switch on their tender parts of their bellies. Effective, but have learned better ways, such as holding their muzzles firmly and talking firmly to them while I am right in their face.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I really enjoyed my dogs for many years because I have spent the time on the obedience training.

Trees

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
trees said:
I recommend you get a specialized training collar for your Rotty that looks brutal, but is much more effective than spike or choke collars and much more humane. It has a series of u shaped links with 90 degree legs that fold in to squeeze the neck when the dog pulls on the leash.
You talking about a Prong Pinch Collar.

Great for large breeds of dogs, especially with thick coats.

Hey K-star.. if you want to learn the basics for free click on this site. It covers all the basic commands.

Step-By-Step Instructions For Obedience Training Your Dog Yourself

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
hey maverick

i have a jack russell thats like 5 months old its a mix between a russell and some dog that the people said was mxed with a fox and something else idk what. but my dog the jack russell is wild its always running around and jumping on things and then you try to pet it the thing trys bitting you. i never had a jack russell before, are these dogs like this or what can they be trained out of it? the thing leaves turds and piss around sometimes and i just rub its face in it then give it a little smack and tell it NO BAD. kind of works, doesnt do it as much. it also likes to get in the garbage and chew things up and leave a mess all over the house. i even left this thing outside for 2 days tied up to a pole cause it was being such a nusiance. now the dog is sleeping thats the only time its good but when its bad all i have to do now is just give it a deep toned voice and tell it no and it stops and puts its tail between its legs but the problem with this is when i do that it cant hold its bladder and pisses right there on the spot. i dont punish it for that because i know its scared and young. so what about these jack russell's? are they always wild like this even when they get older? i know its father is still like that

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Jack Russel's are a hyper breed dog.They are cool little guys too.Rowdy,frisky,always into something

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Most terrier breeds are remarkably similar. The same words are used over and over -- quick to bark, quick to chase, lively, bossy, feisty, scrappy, clever, independent, stubborn, persistent, impulsive, intense.

Jack Russell Terriers are incredibly active go-getters. They MUST have regular opportunities to vent their energy and to use their busy minds to do interesting things. Otherwise they will become rambunctious and bored -- which they usually express by barking and destructive chewing. Bored Jack Russells can make a shambles of your house and yard.

Jack Russell Terriers should be involved in advanced obedience, or agility (obstacle course), or in an earth dog club (where terriers dig and tunnel after small critters who are secured in a sturdy cage so they can't be harmed). Jack Russells were never intended to be simply household pets. Their strong hunting and chasing instincts are inappropriate in a normal household setting. Trying to suppress these "hardwired" behaviors, without providing alternate outlets for their high energy level, can be difficult

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
ok thanx this dog right now is trying to play jumping all over and stuff.lol its funny i watched it chase its tail again today for like 30mins bitting it and spinning around

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
When I was in the pet business I worked at a pet store called Big Al's and the employees had let rats loose in the warehouse so there eventually were dozens of rats roaming the store. The owners let loose one of their own Jack Russells during the night and the pet killed several of them in short quick order.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts