Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,265 Posts
Mav, glad to see you got the work done.

Now to answer your first question. You don't have to strip the paint, but depending on the condition of the paint and sheetmetal beneith as well as the thickness of the paint it might be a good idea. Its not needed, but if your going for a full out show vehicle it deffinatly won't hurt. Question two, is there surface rust or any rust in the areas you will be painting? If theres not, then after you strip the paint just use a good quality sealer, not primer, but a sealer. If there is rust, say on the trunk pan use Por15, and use it anywhere else theres sighns of rust after you strip the paint.

Now your third question has many variables such as how much do you want to spend and what kind of paint are you looking for? If it was me and I had the money I'd use a acrylic urethane enamel it holds up best, best show finish, but pretty $$$. your last question depends on exactly what you want, from mild to wild. it could be anywhere from $1200-10,000+ depending on exactly what you want.

HK

· Registered
3,265 Posts
Mav, if I miss a question or two ask me again, my memory isn't very long, hehe

If you plan to paint the car black the bodywork will have to be perfect for the paint to look good. I say strip the car and redo all the bodywork and make it perfect, it will be long hard on the back and exstremely slow, but well worth it. A show quality paint job requires great prep/body work, exspecially iff your going to paint the car black. black paint shows every imperfection that the body has. Strip the car, do bodywork, seal it with a good quality sealer go over the bodywork numerous times until its perfect then prime and paint with a good quality BC/CC paint. Color sanding is just a step to smooth the surface of the finish.

Now if you want ghost flames you will be using a candy paint. Purple candy with a black base coat. Just to make sure look at the Ghost flame post in this forum, if the pictures are simular to what you want, for exspence reasons I'd go with the racing stripes. Candy is pretty exspensive and most shops charge substatially for a high quality candy job. If you have anymore questions let me know.

HK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.