Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was supposed to be the "good " core support (of the 3 that I have) but one hit with the sand blaster and...swiss cheese. I don't know if you can tell but every dark spot is a hole.

I could just cut out everything and weld in one big piece of sheet metal but the would look like crap. My other thought was to weld in patches for the bigger holes and then use something like that POR epoxy for the pin holes in the recessed areas. Any thoughts?

Mike C.
'66 Skylark conv.

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
here's just a thought...that I've heard some have success with.

Why not glass it and then coat it with POR? should hold up pretty good. Especially if it's not a piece that is really visible and if you're not building a perfect 100% show-car...should be good.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,339 Posts
Mike for goodness sakes, find a better one.
If you really must use this, don't use any of the "magic potions" like POR on it.

First off, if the thing is structurally sound and the holes don't appear to be hurting how it will hold the front of the car together , don't make any "repairs". Just epoxy prime it and paint it. That is FAR from "right" but it is better than using some "magic potion" and THINKING it is repaired.

If you can replace metal, do it, then epoxy prime it. Don't be so concerned about how it looks, no one will get a close look at it (if it is all on the bottom as in the photo). It has no holes on the top right?

Not all the recesses and "body lines" in the rad are "nessisary". If you do replace some of it, look it over well and determan if you need them before you spend your time on them. Along the bottom it is a good chance you can drill out spot welds bend up a simple piece and plug weld it back in. Don't do the whole thing in one piece all the way across. Cut off a "slice" of it at a time and weld in the new piece, it will be much easier.

Just don't waste your money on the "magic potions".

:welcome:

Or you could by the 1965 Skylark I have on ebay and not have to fool with that rust at all! (click here)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poncho62 & Martinsr,

"Find a better one" This is easier said than done my friends. After 3 years of looking this is the best one I've found and I'm putting the car back together now.

You're right Martin, its not going to be a show car, just a really nice street/strip car. Guess I'll just break out the cut off wheel and the mig and see what I can do. At this point I would've been further ahead just to fix the one with the gaping hole than to pay $125.00 for this one. Oh well.

Sorry Martin but this car is 3/4 finished so I can't stop now to buy another.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
760 Posts
If I have some time I might actually do some field-tests with what Martin calls "magic potions".

I haven't dealt with paint nearly as much as he has, but it seems to me that POR15 has outstanding capabilities for bonding to whatever you put it on...moreso than standard paint. But this is just an observation.

Maybe if I take a couple pieces of sheetmetal, I'll do one with POR, one with some Martin Senour paint that I have kicking around. Once it settles up, I'll hit it with a bossing mallet and stretch it out. I'll knock it around with a ball pein and see which chips.

·
16,339 Posts
Why would that be a good test for something that will never be subjected to such treatment?

A paint product may not hold up to that well at all, yet protect better than one that can. It really makes no sense.

My point is, the POR isn't going to do one single thing to help the integrity of that rad support. It isn't going to "bring back" the metal that is gone. If it were sandblasted and epoxy primed it would be much better than spreading some varnish on it.

If POR were so great it would be on the Golden Gate bridge. :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
MARTINSR said:

of course, because the local, state and federal government always does things the smart way.

I think it'd be better to say "If POR was owned by someone in government, it would be on the Golden Gate bridge".

Seriously though. Have you used Por, or are you just hating on it for whatever reason?

There's way more than one way to do things in this business. If you have the skill or the money, maybe you hire someone like Randy...maybe you spend half your life trying to get to the skill level of Randy.

There's other people who would rather slap some bondo on it, smooth it out and put it on the road. There's nothing wrong with either approach, it's what makes you happy. It's nice to have the different opinions.

At the very least, I'd as if you're going to knock a product, give a valid reason why. Like I could say for instance...If MartinSR knew ANYTHING, he'd be working with Boyd Coddington instead of trolling this forum...know what I mean?

btw-I'm not trying to be an ******* here, I just feel like you're trying to discredit anyone who feels that Por is a worthwhile product.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
MARTINSR said:
Why would that be a good test for something that will never be subjected to such treatment?

A paint product may not hold up to that well at all, yet protect better than one that can. It really makes no sense.

My point is, the POR isn't going to do one single thing to help the integrity of that rad support. It isn't going to "bring back" the metal that is gone. If it were sandblasted and epoxy primed it would be much better than spreading some varnish on it.

Well put!, Well said!, Great point!
You just plain said it all!
Barry

·
Registered
760 Posts
it'd be a good test because there has been alot of "talk" about por-15 chipping.

As far as that support...I've never owned a skylark so I cannot say definitively, but looking at it, it doesn't look "unstable" as is. Looks kind of ugly, but useable...and for lots of stuff like that, what difference does it make if it is not load bearing? Unless of course you are building a show car or you are just really anal about stuff like that.

MSC66
I've used gobs of por to go over small holes and it seemed to work well. Please note that all of my panels are down in my shop/basement at the moment and have not seen any road time or anything other than the dampness of the basement. The por did seep into the pinholes and filled them up with a couple of coats. How will it work in the long run? Can only wait and see.

get in where you fit in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not "that" POR

There seems to be a little mis-understanding going on here. I wasn't talking about the POR-15 "paint". POR makes an epoxy putty that they market for repairing areas like this that have alot of small holes. That was what I was refering to when I said "POR epoxy".

I don't want to take sides here but I know Martin Sr from a Buick board I frequent and the man knows body and paint. Lets just say we're all entitled to our own opinions.

As far as POR-15 goes, all I know is that my dad painted the rusty roof of his '70 Monte after he pulled the vinyl top off and left it like that for 5 yrs. It did keep rusting some under the POR.

I always sandblast and/or treat with phosphoric acid. I've already done both to this core support and was just wondering about options to fixing the many pin holes in the battery area.

·
16,339 Posts
unstable said:
I think it'd be better to say "If POR was owned by someone in government, it would be on the Golden Gate bridge".
LOL :D You got me there :)
Honestly, if POR (and I am refering to ANYTHING with the POR name on it) did everything they say it does, it would be the biggest news in thousands of industries around the world. It would change the way business is ran and projects are built, ALL OVER THE EARTH. You wouldn't find it at a booth at a swap meet. :rolleyes: You would find filling cargo ships in 55 gallon drums going all over the world and POR would be at the top of the NY stock exchange fortune 500. Well, it ISN'T, it is a little piddly company that if this product really worked like they say PPG, DuPont or some other "big boy" would buy them with the money eqivilant to what they use on toliet paper in the executive bathrooms. Or of course they would simply make thier own, POR isn't some big secret space age formula.

The POR claims are much like Diet pills, BULL. And like the diet pill, there is no REAL studies that I know of that they can brag about. You may be able to say "it looks like it works" on the stuff that you have done. But unless you had BLIND studies with other products and a standard, you know nothing. Those diet pills, they use similar "clinical tests". They give the pills to a thirty or forty overwieght people and after six months they ask them if they have lost weight. THAT IS NOT A TRUE TEST. A REAL pharmaceutical company would start the test with hundreds to thousands of people. These people would be broken up into groups (WITHOUT THEM KNOWING WHAT GROUP THEY ARE IN) and given the new drug, a drug they want the new one to replace maybe) and for sure a Placebo (sugar pill that does nothing). These people would then be studied after a period of time, sometimes years, to see the effects. When POR does something like that and proves POR does everything they say it does, it will be biggest news item in many industries as I said before. But no, it is only a big news item with home hobbiest.

Now, it you think I don't understand what a home hobbiest faces trying to do this stuff on cars, you havn't read all my posts, that is for sure. There are few people who support the home hobbiest more than me. I FULLY understand the limitations in money, skill, time, space, tools, etc. the home hobbiest faces. I have had on going arguments with other pros over these issues. Lap welds over butt welds (I think lap welds are often "good enough"), "Bondo" over metal finishing (I'm sorry metal finishing is WAY over the head of most home hobbiest and plastic filler unlike POR is a PROVEN product), Totally stripinig cars (WAY over done and has been the death of too many home hobbiest projects, SUPER overwhelming). The "Bestest way" is "good enough" to me in many ways. I am NOT going to tell a home hobbiest that he is a hack or something for not doing something "right".

I am so adamant on the POR issue because of the brain washing they have done. I swear, people talk about this stuff like it is the second coming of Christ. It is a BAND AID at best. It COVERS UP rust. It doesn't "convert" it doesn't "Bond'. What in the crap does "Bond with rust" mean? The surface of the rust isn't even bonded with the metal! It is like spraying paint over dirt because the paint will "Bond" with the dirt.

There IS a place for "POR", I agree, I have some I was going to do the floor in my 72 Bug with, in place of doing it RIGHT.

As long as everyone who mentions POR is in the full understanding that it is less than right, as long as they knew that, everything is cool. But they don't know that! People talk about the stuff like it is actually doing what the POR ads say! That is what gripes me.

I am NOT instulting anyone who uses it. If that is what you need to do to get the car out on the road and enjoy it, cool. I am more insulting POR and the claims IT makes.

As for working for Boyd, have you watched those shows on Discovery? Honestly, most anyone who reads this forum could work there. I have actually been to a lot of that kind of shops, the work they do isn't very impressive. No only that, I actually have looked into working at a couple pretty famous shops, they pay about $20,000 less than what I make fixing late model Hondas and SUVs. It is like being a musician, no kidding, it takes years marketing ones self to make enough money to feed a family on custom or street rod work.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
As for working for Boyd, have you watched those shows on Discovery? Honestly, most anyone who reads this forum could work there. I have actually been to a lot of that kind of shops, the work they do isn't very impressive. No only that, I actually have looked into working at a couple pretty famous shops, they pay about $20,000 less than what I make fixing late model Hondas and SUVs. It is like being a musician, no kidding, it takes years marketing ones self to make enough money to feed a family on custom or street rod work. [/B][/QUOTE]

I know, I should not add to this but laughed so hard I had to.

The first time ever about two weeks ago my wife was channel surfing and found the Boyd show on TV. If its an old car and it will break them lose in second its right up her alley.
I watched this and was a little dumbfounded on how they were doing things but did not say nothing and then the guy starts leading the edge of a door. I thought she was going to fall off the couch and says look it that he has no idea how to lead!
I had no idea she had watched me that much to know. But when the show was about over she "these guys are nothing but a bunch of whining Girlie-men wanting to be body men and painters!"
She called it like she saw it!
Barry

·
Registered
417 Posts
If any business really had as much trouble and as many arguements as the TV chopper and rod shows, they would be broke and out of business in weeks if the cops didn't come and arrest all of them first.
Their results are nice but I have a real hard time watching the process.

·
16,339 Posts
Julmer, isn't that the truth! My seven year old loves to see people building things and he has learned so much from a number of shows. I can barely let him watch those FOOLS you are reffering to.
I have to tell him over and over how "it really isn't this way at a shop", and more importantly "That guy is a moron for acting that way".

I can't believe it really is that way, if you will notice EVERY ONE of those shows has that element. It is a joke, to tell you the truth.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
back to me

Making progress on the core support (remember?). Check out my project journal and let me know what you think.

Mike C.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts