Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering about door skins on a nova is it better to try to repair the existing door or install a skin. How much does a body shop charge to do these ball park

·
Super Moderator
18,347 Posts
Its not hard to do. You grind off the door edge and the skin comes right off. The new skin is attached by bending over the flange and welding it.

It also depends on the condition of the rest of the door. No sense attaching a skin to a rotton shell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
poncho62 said:
Its not hard to do. You grind off the door edge and the skin comes right off. The new skin is attached by bending over the flange and welding it.

It also depends on the condition of the rest of the door. No sense attaching a skin to a rotton shell.
Thanks the shell has no rust just a few dings and people with a 6-pack and dent puller tried to fix it. Do you know what i should have to pay on a job like this the doors are off the car,and I could take them to a body shop to have it done I just don't have any idea on how much this work would cost

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Some will argue against skin installation because they've had failures in the past from improper installation methods. Some production orientated techs will install a skin with no attention to alignment and also corrosion protection.

IMO replacing the skin is the best repair possible if installed properly. With the old skin removed you have the opportunity to sandblast the frame and remove any internal rust, coat with epoxy primer, and install the skin with a sealed seam to avoid any future rust problems. Every factory assembled door I've ever taken apart has had some degree of corrosion in the seam. If all the corrosion has been removed, the interior and exterior of the door coated with epoxy primer as a base, the seams sealed up good, and interior sprayed down with a cavity wax type coating it will last a lifetime+

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Using a door skin adhesive instead of welding may be the way to go if you are not concerned about doing it exactly like the factory originally did. You won't be burning off any corrosion protection, and the adhesive itself will protect the metal and seam.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I hope i can find a good local body shop that can do it I believe i would rather have put on with out the weld if I could get by with it.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,295 Posts
The time on doing a door skin is about five or six hours but that includes removing and reinstalling the door and its componants. So bringing in a door will be somewhat less.

The problem is you REALLY don't want to bring the doors in to be skinned. They MUST be trail fit to the car before the adhesive cures first off. Secondly the repro skins are far from perfect. They will need to be trial fit prior to adhesive.

Brian

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MARTINSR said:
The time on doing a door skin is about five or six hours but that includes removing and reinstalling the door and its componants. So bringing in a door will be somewhat less.

The problem is you REALLY don't want to bring the doors in to be skinned. They MUST be trail fit to the car before the adhesive cures first off. Secondly the repro skins are far from perfect. They will need to be trial fit prior to adhesive.

Brian
that sucks its gonnal be a little while before it runnig

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,295 Posts
home brew said:
What do you mean by a wax type coating? Will it work as an additional sealant if you do the whole inside of a body after rust removal and epoxy priming?

It is added protection. Cut open a late model VW rocker and you will be blown away at the amount of wax in there! That sucker isn't going to rust I'll tell you that!

Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts