Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together some ideas for a center console for my hot rod and I wanted to put in a double DIN stereo/dvd player. I was wondering what was needed make this type of radio to fit in an enclosure

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,086 Posts
You need a hole the size of the radio and an dash install kit. They have universal kits that can work on a homebuilt console! When you buy a new stereo they usually come with a sleeve for the radio and the sleeve gets bolted to your console and the radio kind of snap fits to the radio in place. Go to an outfit called Crutchfield they have lots of installation help there..:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you plan on using DVD's and CD's mounting it facing up may cause issues with some HU's. Otherwise get an HU that doesn't use DVD/CD's and it won't be an issue mounting it face up. As for mounting I would make a box out of mdf to mount it in the center console so it looks nice and is secure. You can get plastic universal kits that can go into the mdf box and it would look very clean as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the idea that I came up with. The sides will be made from wood and the center and the radio mount at the front I'll laser and bend at work.
IMG_20210217_182521046.jpeg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see. Since that's a normal mount you can use a DVD player without issues. Neat design, can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just a suggestion. Look into marine sound systems. No need for large cutouts. Many have remotely mounted main units that can be hidden with very small wired remote units. Not sure about the DVD aspect, as I haven't researched that side.

FWIW - My next unit is going to be a Clarion Marine mechless (no CD or DVD) head unit. It has a USB input and Bluetooth. I haven't seen the need for CD's since using my first USB thumbdrive for storage. The control unit is small enough to hide in an armrest (which is what I intend to do) and it's waterproof. I will have a large capacity thumbdrive plugged in all the time and use Bluetooth from my phone, too.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
If you look at Retrosound radios they have several that are made of four separate units - faceplate with display, main “body” with amp and all connections , and the left and right control knobs.

The pieces connect together with wiring that looks like phone cord. You could surface mount the display wherever you want to view it, put the knobs on the dash or the console, and the amp could be hidden behind the dash or under the seat. I don’t think they have a CD player, but the radios have Bluetooth, port for a USB connection, support for a cell phone, etc.

Bruce

·
Registered
35 Posts
why a double din? why a radio head unit? There are many ways to not do this and still play audio. Post more of what you are really trying to do, so we can help you more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why a double din? why a radio head unit? There are many ways to not do this and still play audio. Post more of what you are really trying to do, so we can help you more.
I'm going for that old lead sled look with the tv in the console, but keeping it streamlined and modern.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm going for that old lead sled look with the tv in the console, but keeping it streamlined and modern.
do you have any pictures, redering/drawings of what you are looking for? I've never seen a 'old lead sled' with a tv in the console. TVs didnt really start appearing nt he car scene until mid 90s minitruck era

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you have any pictures, redering/drawings of what you are looking for? I've never seen a 'old lead sled' with a tv in the console. TVs didnt really start appearing nt he car scene until mid 90s minitruck era
There's a sketch I made a few posts up. I've seen some older kustoms with tvs and the old mopars had the floating clocks in the center console

1 - 12 of 12 Posts