Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need one more piece to complet my motor iv got a 350 with 291 double hump heads. but the darn things dont have accessory holes. what can i do. i plan to drop the motor in my 85 iroc and put the tuned port back on for added torque. But i can complet the build becaues i need the acsessory brocket.if any body know where i can get on or i can weld if their is a way to fab one up

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Virtually all camel hump heads came w/o accessory holes. You will get all kinds of advice here to go with superior late model double throw-down super duper hetrodyne heads but for my money, SBCs need camel humps to be performance. Period. On my buddy's '42 Willys pickup w/ camel humps we made our own accessory brackets. Pretty easy. Make them out of 1/4" steel and attach them to the front exhaust manifold bolt, a water pump bolt or two and front intake manifold bolt. Maybe even a timing chain cover bolt w/ a small diameter pipe spacer. We made cardboard patterns of the pieces, flame cut them out of steel and welded them together. Afternoon of work will do the trick. Once we made all the mistakes we could think of, we had them chrome plated and they look as good as any aftermarket whiz bracket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alan Grove makes brackets for darn near everything. I used them for the same problem and the work and look great, cheap too. I do not have TPI though so it may be different. Lots of suppliers, just google the name.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
In addition to the above, some of the power steering unit used brackets which bolted between the block and the engine mount on the driver side.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Why not use #186/491/492 heads? these had 'double humps' AND accessory holes. They had that awful 'quench area' below the spark plug like a #462 or 291 head and they were thin if you machined them for 1.550 od springs, but if you don't overcam (is it a daily driver?) the std dia springs will be fine.
IMO the best 'fuelie' head was the #461, small chamber,no 'quench area', thick deck and spring seat (by OE standards) and straight plugs which work great with a flattop piston.
If you have to pass smog inspection it will be easier to sneek past with stock appearing brackets and no adapters.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I am running double hump heads on my 327. I used Alan Grove brackets for the alternator and A/C compressor and power steering (no special bracket required for the power steering, but Alan Grove needs to know you are using it so you get the correct brackets and spacers). There were two options offered: alternator and compressor outside the valve covers (wide spread) or above the valve covers (narrow). Because my motor is in a 36 Ford, I used the narrow spread. Since you want to go tuned port and have the width, you need the wide spread I would also tell Alan Grove about the tune port since there can be some clearance issues). And I agree with Willys, these old heads are not slouches and can be a great bang for the buck!!!

Trees

1 - 6 of 6 Posts