Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a left leg and I'm trying to wire up two line locks. The front wheel line lock and the rear wheel line lock. What I'd like to do is have a switch that I can set to work both line locks so I can bring up the revs at the line but have the ability to just power the front line lock for burn outs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't have a left leg and I'm trying to wire up two line locks. The front wheel line lock and the rear wheel line lock. What I'd like to do is have a switch that I can set to work both line locks so I can bring up the revs at the line but have the ability to just power the front line lock for burn outs.
Hello,
I don't know what vehicle you are driving, or how much you will be needing/using what you posted above.
You can buy or have installed in your transmission ( I am assuming you are driving an automatic because of the leg ) What is called a transbrake. This locks the transmission (most times) in 1st gear and R at the same time. vehicle can't move, bring up the rpm to what you are going to leave at, then when it is time to go, you push a button and the transbrake unlocks and off you go.
Then all you need is the 1 line lock for your burnout.
The transbrake will cost more than the 100.00 line lock, but will be safer.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Really quite simple, install a switch that ties into the rear brake line and is supplied power from the same wire that is powering the front wheel line lock. This way the front line lock will work all the time and the rear brake line lock will only work when the switch is activated.

I'm considering doing the same thing and using the switch I have for my sloppy transbrake that throws the trans into 1st and 3rd at the same time electronically. I am considering a transbrake though as well, just a line lock is a lot cheaper than a 4L80 valve body :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Really quite simple, install a switch that ties into the rear brake line and is supplied power from the same wire that is powering the front wheel line lock. This way the front line lock will work all the time and the rear brake line lock will only work when the switch is activated.

I'm considering doing the same thing and using the switch I have for my sloppy transbrake that throws the trans into 1st and 3rd at the same time electronically. I am considering a transbrake though as well, just a line lock is a lot cheaper than a 4L80 valve body :)
I have not looked into a drag strep rule book, But I would hazard a guess that if having line lock on all the brakes was allowed, Someone would have offered A 2 stage unit, stage 1 burnout, stage 2 "staging at the line" .
Most vehicles can overpower the rear brakes when you are sitting still with one foot on the brake and the other through the floorboard.

If you could get enough force on the rear brakes to hold the vehicle at the line and not creep through the beams.
You could install the line lock on just the rears.
burnout, turn on line lock without pushing on the brakes first, shuts off the flow of fluid and now pushing brake pedal only applies the front brakes, do burnout. letting off the brakes and roll out, get to line and push brake pedal and then turn on line lock and let off the pedal and pray it holds the car from creeping/moving. That is allot to get right while staging and a few problems with it.
1)hoping the starter doesn't start the tree before you are set.
2) rear brakes holding the vehicle from moving.
lower power cars the rear brakes might do it. Drum brakes with the "self-energizing" characteristics may not want to fully "let go, while load is applied (foot on the gas) .

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
No guess hazarding, it's not illegal.

Most run a transbrake. But most transbrake cars aren't daily street driven either. And yes, one can setup a single line lock for the rear brakes, but that doesn't resolves Fang's issue about getting the tires hot in the burnout box either.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No guess hazarding, it's not illegal.

Most run a transbrake. But most transbrake cars aren't daily street driven either. And yes, one can setup a single line lock for the rear brakes, but that doesn't resolves Fang's issue about getting the tires hot in the burnout box either.
Like I stated, I don't know the rules. and what is allowed and what isn't.
I wish him luck.
Maybe the line lock on the front brakes for the burn out, and an added hand control for the throttle, so he can foot brake it at the line, and once off the brake, move foot to throttle pedal.
A few customers we have had, had hand controls and you still could use the pedals as normal, no clue of the brand/type.
That might be something that work.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
So, you did not like the idea of having a hydraulic parking brake with a ball valve allowing you to lock front or rear small (independent) parking brake calipers? No reason why this would not work and I do not see why it would not be allowed as it is not affecting your primary brakes in any way.

Going back to a more traditional ball valve setup locking your Main brakes I looked at some kind of electric ball valve like I have used for air line dumps. But the pressures involved with brake fluid make that a very expensive choice.

Only other option I can think of is having two line locks mounted on your shifter shaft allowing you to flip the front or rear one up with a finger releasing the front or rear brakes. Some flexible lines would allow for shifter movement. But, in my experience these line locks leak overtime and they do not release as quickly as you would want performance wise. Even if the line locks do not leak(replaced by a better sealing ball valve) I know that gm single piston calipers do not like to be held at full pressure for extended periods and the pistons will leak after a short time requiring new calipers.

Which is why I highly recommend a secondary breaking system if your going to do this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.