Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure this is the right section but i just want to know which cools the best. My stock radiator has both hose tubes on the passenger side, does that make it a downflow? thanks in advance.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
A downflow has the tanks on the top and bottom....a side flow has the tanks on the sides. If you had one of each the same size....I would not think there would be any great difference in cooling.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I suspect it would have to be vertical-flow, because if it were a horizontal-flow unit, both hoses would be on the same tank, and, since no coolant would be flowing through the heat exchanging section, very little radiating would be done.

As far as I know, horizontal flow is better.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Might be a reverse cross flow (think thats what they are called)... The tank on the side with the inlet and outlet has a divider in the middle while the other end is completely open... (sorta like a single pass heat exchanger)...?

The cross flow design is much better mainly because of the surface area that is effectively cooled is more... The coolant transverses a longer area so it cools more than down flowing type... While you can make a down flow type as wide as a cross flow you are limited on the height on most cars and trucks now, this limits the time the coolant is exposed to the cooling area... So the cross flow design works better because of the desire to have better areodynamic`s mainly (low wide frontal area)...

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
If your necks are both on the same side, then it is a double pass, cross flow radiator.

There will be a divider in the tank that causes the coolant to flow through the radiator.

Obviously, if there were no divider, there would be nothing to cause the coolant to travel through the tubes in the radiator.

As far as cooling capacity goes, I believe it will have more to do with the material of the radiator, the tube size, overall size and number of tubes (rows) in the unit itself.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts