Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Help-Painting Today* DPLF as a Sealer?

How do I mix DPLF as a Sealer... I read the PPG handout and it says "in non-automotive application..." It's just not clear. I think it's 2:1:1/2DT to make it a sealer. can someone confirm this mix. I want to seal my K38 before I basecoat today! And do I have to use 401LF for it to be a sealer or can I use 402LF?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
either 401 or 402 can be used I believe. The 401 requires and induction period (add 401 stir, leave sit a half an hour and stir again before painting) With the 402 an induction period is not needed. But many people like to leave there epoxy and hardener sit a little while and stir and then shoot. This may help it mix and shoot better. The 402 from glancing at the sheet is not recommended on flexable parts. Sometime tech sheets are hard to decipher and take a few times of reading through. Often times they could make things clearer. Why they don't have under mixing something like primer mix such and such, using as a sealer such and such. As a sealer it will just be reduced down so it lays nice for painting without doing any sanding. Many times in tech sheets they are making recommendations to stay within voc laws also. Kinda like some guy recently on here who was using acetone to reduce something cause thats what was recommended. You can ask bondo king how acetone works in primer also, lol. But he's sure got that car looking pretty now. I would mix 2 to 1 and reduce it to where it will spray nice with your spray gun and settings. Generally up to 25% on the reducer, but try the 1/2 part and see how its working. The 2 parts epoxy to 1 part activator is the most important to have at the correct ratio.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If using as a sealer PPG recommends the 402 catalyst unless it is being used on flexible parts. The you should use the 401 and let the car sit ovenight before paint

1 - 3 of 3 Posts