Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a totaled impala that I want to build into a drag car. The 305 caught on fire a few years ago and it needs new front end and wiring for lights. My question is can I just rebuild the front end and go to the track and race, or do I need insurance? My closest track (epping nh) states that you have to go through an inspection at the track, but do you need to present any paper work ect. thanks

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
You don't need insurance to race. The inspection at the track is just a mechanical inspection to make sure you have the proper safety items and that the car is mechanically sound. Find out what organization your track belongs to and get their rule book so you will know what you have to have.

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
If $50 is too much to become a member of the organization and recieve the rulebook and weekly magazine, then you can't afford a race car anyway. It will cost you that much or more in entry fee, gas, ect just to race one night's test-n-tune.

I believe the rules are also available on the IHRA web site, or you can get a rule book for $10 at any IHRA National or Divisional Event.

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
ericnova72 said:
If $50 is too much to become a member of the organization and recieve the rulebook and weekly magazine, then you can't afford a race car anyway. It will cost you that much or more in entry fee, gas, ect just to race one night's test-n-tune.

I believe the rules are also available on the IHRA web site, or you can get a rule book for $10 at any IHRA National or Divisional Event.
The magazine is 23 times a year, a little less than bi-weekly. But still......

NHRA membership is $69/year. Of course the mag is printed 48 times a year.

Eric is right on otherwise. If $50 is too much, you need to find a much less expensive hobby.

You can pick up the rule book by mail for $12. http://www.ihra.com/membership/index.php

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I seriously doubt that you could get regular automobile insurance for the vehicle. All of my previous policy carriers state in very clear terms. No insurance coverage if used in a competition event.

Race tracks carry their own liability insurance.

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
Yes the answer to your question is yes, Just build the car to specs they will check the car when you get there and if it's not all to specs and then they won't let you race till it is and no you don't have to have insurance assuming you are going to be hauling it there anyway right. Hope this helps. Cole

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.