Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1991 3000 lb (with me in it) s-10 that i was trying to fiqure out how to fine tune the power train such as gearing etc. The truck specs are-

3000 lb's with me in it.
400 sbc, 13 to 1, 825 mighty demon, edelbrock E-tec heads, 256i & 260 E .693 lift solid roller cam.
Back halfed, 10 point, 9 inch.
5.00 gear, 33x10.5w MT
1.76 powerglide. sportsman brake.
hughes stall 5200 on brake dont know what on nitrous
1/4 mile on motor et is 11.13 at 119 on motor Elv. 3200 (boise ID)
1/8 on 250 nitrous 6.24 at 114 mph elv 5200 (anaconda MT)
I have little track time in and i am trying to figure out some changes i can do this winter. I was thinking that the stall may be a little high as my motor does not make much power past 6800 rpm with the heads i have.
I was also thinking that i should go to a 1.82 or 1.89 first gear. and last is the 4 link, i back halfed it my self and set it up the way competition eng. instructions said but i would like to learn more of what racers do to set them up for different track etc. Thanks

·
Technical Support Barry Grant
1,500 Posts
Your carburetor is a touch big for this combination, and the stall speed seems extremely loose especially if you're going to be running nitrous. Check with the guys at Hughes, and they can go over your options on tightening up the converter, and possible going to a higher first gear in the trans. As far as your chassis setup that will vary depending on how the car is launching, and performing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Thanks-

I got the stall used off of ebay for 250.00, When i was buying it i thought for that price i sure could send it to hughes to have them adjust it and still be ahead if i found that i did not like the stall.
I know it stalls at 5200 on the brake but have never looked over at the tach when i release the brake and the nitrous hits but i am sure it would have to go higher.
As for lunching it goes about a 1.62 on motor 60ft and 1.42 on nitrous. That is another reason i think i would like a little lower first gear. I have a video of a couple of launches and my tires only spin one revolution maybe on a nitrous runs. I have just read that for links are great because you can adjust your four links for the different tracks but i don't even know what i would do for the track i am running it on if i was not getting enough traction.
I guess i should not worry about how to fix a problem i am not having.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts