Hot Rod Forum banner

Drag tire rookie questions

1671 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  "70" Cougar
HI folks, I'm looking into a pair of ET street tires. The " cheater slicks" that use a tube. My question , is this " tube" made of gold haha are they special tubes of some sort cause the price is ( to me )pretty high, around $70 CND. Much more then any tubes i've seen in the past. As well does anyone know if they act weird on the highway. As i'll be swapping tires and driving about an hour to the track. thanks for any help

Bill C
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
AFAIK you can use a standard tube, I've also known people that didn't use a tube at all.
They shouldn't be too bad to drive on as long as they're aired up. I haven't used that specific tire before but I have run bias ply slicks in the past.
Do you have to run a D.O.T. tire for some reason? Even if you do, I don't understand why you couldn't mount up a set on some inexpensive steel wheels and change 'em out at the track. Seems silly to me to use up expensive race rubber driving to the track.
First I would not run a tube soap the sidewalls from the inside with dish soap and put them on. Second I have run them on the street but not 50-60 miles to the track I would swap them at the track like TI sugested they tend to wander around when going down the hwy because of the softer sidewall. And if you get caught in the rain you are out of luck.
Hey guys thanks, well guess i'll be swapping tires at the track lol. Looks like the full on slick is a bit cheaper then the " cheater". Could you explain the pro/con for not using a tube. Also i've been looking around locally and its not as easy as i would have thought to find an old pair of steelies 15'' by 7 wide-5 on 4.5''. If i can't find them i may try an get a pair that match my current rims. but would like to move the rim inside the wheel-well about 1-1.5 inches. would give me some breathing room. I'll see if i can have them ordered that way.
thanks again

bill C
The tubes are heavy and you have to drill the rim to get a slick tube valve stem to fit.
So mostly using a tube is only when running extremely low air pressure. I just assumed it was a must. Boring a hole lol i can do. In looking for a rim how would i measure the " back spacing " an such.
bill C
Lay the wheel down on a flat surface, front side down. Lay a straight rule or length of board such as a 2x4 across the width of the wheel. Using a tape measure, measure from the bottom of the straight rule or board to the mating surface where the wheel bolts to the axle. This is the backset or back spacing that wheel manufacturers use in their published data.
Hey TI , sweet so when i measure that say its 4 inches and i wanted to move it ( rim/tire) in ward i would increase that measurement by the desired amount.
Greatly appreciate the help,
bill C
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.