Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a drive shaft for my 1932 Hot Rod project. I measured from center of my yoke on my engine/transmission end to center of yoke on my rear end. It is 33 3/4" inches. I can buy a drive shaft that is 33" long from center yoke to center yoke from Speedway motors. Would there be a problem if I moved the yoke on my engine 3/4" backwards off the splines, I did buy a 6" yoke which is longer then the standard yoke for the 350 motor ? So basically there would be 3/4" play in my yoke on the transmission/motor end by me moving the yoke out to make up that 3/4" so I could buy that drive shaft that is 33" long. Is this gonna be a problem ????

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,641 Posts
When you measure C|C from the joints, you should push the tranny yoke in all the way, then pull it out 3/4" and measure. With chassis loaded, of course.

Russ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tranny Length ???

If I was to push the tranny yoke in all the way then pull it out 3/4" I would be able to use that 33" drive shaft then ?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Go to Denny's for exact way to measure, then get a driveshaft from the boneyard that is longer then what you want that fits your differential. Take it to a bearing shop in your area and they will shorten(for around 75-100), balance and get you the correct U joint you need for either end. Or Denny's can sell you one.:welcome:
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/how_to_measure.html

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I go with 1" instead of the 3/4" dimension, but it shouldn't matter much. Speedway has a bunch of yokes, so go back and look at those. Their catalog is better than their website for finding things.

FWIW, I needed a 'shaft for a swap I'm working on, Chevy to Ford rear. A local shop made me a 3.5" diameter unit with all Neapco and Spicer components for a flat $300.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,641 Posts
If I was to push the tranny yoke in all the way then pull it out 3/4" I would be able to use that 33" drive shaft then ?
If your original measurement was with the yoke pushed all the way in, then yes. You need around 3/4" for suspension movement. Too much yoke sticking out and there be minimal spline engagement and possible vibration from the "whip" effect that happens when more of the yoke is unsupported.

Russ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts