Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 37 Ford Tudor with a turbo 350, and a 9" ford rear. How do I go about doing a drive shaft?? The spline from the Chevrolet drive shaft was cut off, and is still in the back of the 350 turbo. The "U" bolts are still on the rear end.. Thanks Al

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. I guess I should have said that I don't have any driveshaft in the car. None came with it. All I have is the front yoke from the chevrolet. It is still in the transmission. It was burnt off the old driveshaft. There is a 9" Ford rear in it. All I have there is the "U" bolts that hold the "U" joint in. How much does Denny's charge for a driveshaft?? Thanks.. Al

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think probably the best thing to do is give him a call ( 1-800-955-1872 ) and he can set you up with what you need. He has several different options. Check out his web page.

·
just a gearhead in paradise..
459 Posts
a new driveshaft is money well spent. i had problems with ujoints failing. turned out i had a dent in the shaft that caused some vibration. this was damaging the ujoints and having to change them every month or 2 got tiresome. after getting the new shaft problem solved. personally i don't trust the shops out here... but was very pleased with the shaft that came in the mail.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I ordered out for a driveshaft.. Wouldn't I have to worry about the shaft being dented in route to my house?? Do the new driveshafts come already loaded with "U" joints?? Thanks.. Al

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
APalusky said:
If I ordered out for a driveshaft.. Wouldn't I have to worry about the shaft being dented in route to my house?? Do the new driveshafts come already loaded with "U" joints?? Thanks.. Al
Don't order one...best thing to do is to get a local shop that makes driveshafts to make one for you. I made my own for my Model A... but I had all the tools and equipment that was neccessary to do that. You may have to tow or haul your car on a trailer down to the driveshaft shop. Most shops that do a lot of four wheel drive work can make up drive shafts.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Henry. Does it help any that I have the front yoke from the Chevrolet shaft.. The guy cut the shaft off at the yoke, and left it shoved in the rear of the trans. One guy here told me that he would get me a Ford driveshaft. I just had to measure it up against the trans while being bolted the rear end. and mark the shaft.. Doesn't make much sence to me though.. Al

·
just a gearhead in paradise..
459 Posts
the one i ordered came to hawaii... and no damage. they are pretty well packed. it was cheaper for me to order one than the local shops here wanted for a new one. and it cam complete with ujoints all greased and ready.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Basically what you need is a Ford drive shaft that fits your rear end....cut to the right length and a Chevy yoke and universal on the front. You want the drive shaft length to be where the front slip yoke lacks about a half an inch from bottoming out in the tranny...this is so when the rear suspension travels up and down it does not bind the driveshaft. This is why I would not order one...I would get one made up locally. Ask at your parts store for information on who can do this for you in your area

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can go 2 ways.get a ford shaft and have it shortened to right lenght in a lathe at machine shop than go to auto store and get a u-joint that fits the ford shaft and chev slip joint or use a chev shaft and get a joint fits chev shaft to ford rear end yoke .Joints come in many cross sizes also a lot of heavy truck shop can make shafts and they also balance them which is more foolproof against vibrations than using a lathe because the weld will pull sometimes even in the lathe where as the balance will overcome that

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do still have the slip joint in the rear of the 350 turbo. The guy who had the car before me cut the shaft off near the weld next to the joint. it would have to be cleaned up some and rewelded to another shaft.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a measurment to go by?? Say from [here] to [there]?? I saw a site once that showed how to measure. Also I have a 72 Ford truck 9" rearend. Would I then look for a truck driveshaft??

·
Registered
29 Posts
drive shaft

I had a shaft built locally. I furnised the yoke fron the trans, the rear of the ford 9 inch shaft, gave them the measurements of the rearend cups on the pinion yoke and the measurement from the rear end to the tip of the output shaft with the vehicle setting on the ground. They used the two ends and a new tube with new u joints $115.00

1 - 16 of 16 Posts