Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
fredbaker said:
Why is the driveline offset on some vehicles ? If it is offset from the transmission output shaft, do you offset the rearaxle pinion also or run the driveshaft offset ?

There was a few cars that was off set for the steering.. some of the drive shafts where on a angle....What kind of car are you setting up ???? :confused:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am replacing a Chevy rearend with a 9" Ford and I noticed the pinion on the 9" is offset. I have to narrow the Ford 9" so I was wondering if centering the pinion to the housing ends is correct.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
fredbaker said:
I am replacing a Chevy rearend with a 9" Ford and I noticed the pinion on the 9" is offset. I have to narrow the Ford 9" so I was wondering if centering the pinion to the housing ends is correct.
I just done this exact same thing on my 89 S10 drag truck. I opted to keep the pinion inline with the tailshaft of the tranny. This does however offset the pumpkin to the driver side and makes the axles about 4" different in length but it works great. It's really a matter of how you want it to look from the back. Also, I had my axles shortened and resplined by Moser and it was about $90.00 plus shipping. I've attached a picture of mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
fredbaker said:

You can center the pinion.. :thumbup:

This is my 41 willys frame I built... I center all of mine.. :)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.