Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I read all the threads on door alignment but they were for really older vehicles. I'm trying to put back on my driver side door on my f-150 supercrew. I also have the drivers side front fender off so I have easy access to the bolts. I've tried putting the door on with door actually locked on the striker and then bolting in all the door hinge bolts but it still feels like the door when is opened and closed hits ths striker is a little off. Can some one recommend a proecdure I could use to get these doors on correctly and properly aligned?

Thanks
MP

3,214 Posts
What I usually do when installing a door like that is shim it up. I place some rags or gloves on the rocker panel area, then close the door. These will push up the door against the latch. I then tighten the hinge bolts. If that doesn't work, the door can be simply lifted higher with it unlatched.

The play in the hinged from wear can have a big bearing on how they are adjusted. I have atually adjusted the striker so it holds the door tight at the upper position, just to adlust he hinges, then re-adjusted the striker.

It is also sometimes necessary to tap the lower body side of the hinge rearward, and the upper body side hinge forward, with the bolts just snug, then tighten them. This helps to compensate for the wear.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts