Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About how much should I expect to pay to have a driveshaft made for a T bucket. I asked this in a post to another thread also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CptKaos said:
I just had a chromemoly shaft made for 225 including u joints in Austin

Larry
Thanks! Now that's the kind of ballpark I can play in. I'll be checking for shops in my area when I get to that point. It's going between a 350 turbo and a chevy rearend. Sounds simple enough, but I needed an idea to see if it would be within my budget. What was the turn around?

·
Registered
65 Posts
2 days, I was amazed. The guy said 2 days and delivered in 2 days, if you cant find someone local give me a shout and I will give you his number. I will need to dig it out of my stack of reciepts.

Larry

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
302/Z28 said:
Had one made for my 34 in the Houston area for $150. I am at work now, when I get home I will post the name of the place. I faxed in my dimensions then my wife picked it up while she was in Houston, fit perfectly.

Vince
That's great, 302. That would help me out a lot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Transmission - Rearend> driveshaft estimate

Yeah , I shorten my own . But Definately wanna have it balanc'ed, by the Proffessional's . <<, Lil cheaper ! Better fitt ! I get it where I want it and just tack it . Then Send it off too be Welded Up and Balanced . <<, Option ! Too just using a Tape measure . Also Checkin it for True is Fairly simple . Like checkin a Rimm , for true . Only on Drive line's I use 3 point System . << Is how I do it ! Sean

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I paid about $150 for the one in my roadster...but I had my own slip yoke and it was just a plain steel tube.

BTW, I would recommend using a local shop if at all possible. If there is any error or mistake in the length etc, you'll have a lot of time and hassle involved if you have to ship it back out and wait for the repairs. I've done them both ways (internet guys and local guys) and I much prefer our local shop here even though they are quite a bit more expensive. They take pride in their work and make sure the shaft is going to be up to power of my project. Plus if there is a mistake...they fix me right up at no additional charge.

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
I had a driveshaft made for my bucket. Turbo 400 and a Dana 60 cost about 275.00 I was made extra heavy duty. Thicker wall and bigger joints 1350 series spicer instead of the 1310 series. It took about 2 hours for the shop to call me back and say it was ready.

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
I bring my driveshafts to a big truck driveline repair place, there's not a lot of machine shops in my area. I bring them an old drivesahft with the correct ends and he cuts them off, and rewelds on new pipe at the correct length with new u joints for just over $100. no special deals either ,thats retail.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
It needs to be precision done by a professional shop and balanced. Use a new front yoke and replace the bushing in the tailshaft at the same time. Torque u-joints to 17 lbft max.

Failure to do it right the first time can result in broken tailshaft housings preceded by annoying vibrations.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Since we're on the subject

Recently one of the major hot rod magazine's big name industry award winning editor wrote an article about overdrive and in it he stated that when you install an overdrive your drive shaft turns 22 % faster than it did. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And that is not all the stupid things he writes. He is almost a joke to old timers.

This crud is where all the confusion begins. People don't think, they just follow like lost sheep.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
had an aluminum one made for my car by a guy out of NY , Denny's very nice. Duty specific u joints, and yoke ................. 250 and change. Took about a week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts