Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Car God's,

My name is SGT Kirk currently serving in Iraq. I want an aluminum driveshaft for my 86 camaro with a 350. As far as I know its pretty much stock. I'm building up the engine while over here. I was looking on Ebay and I'm wondering whats better? A smaller diameter or larger diameter. I've found aluminum driveshafts from 2.5in to 3.5in and I need some help from people with more knowledge than me.

Thank you
SGT Kirk
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,764 Posts
86mirage said:
Dear Car God's,

My name is SGT Kirk currently serving in Iraq. I want an aluminum driveshaft for my 86 camaro with a 350. As far as I know its pretty much stock. I'm building up the engine while over here. I was looking on Ebay and I'm wondering whats better? A smaller diameter or larger diameter. I've found aluminum driveshafts from 2.5in to 3.5in and I need some help from people with more knowledge than me.

Thank you
SGT Kirk
Contact a drive line shop that builds the aluminum drive shafts...

I have an Inland Empire aluminum shaft in my 61 Dodge Lancer. A top quality piece.

There are other well known shops for aluminum or carbon fiber shafts... Denny's comes to mind too.

good luck.

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thank you for the reply and I will look into some driveshaft stores. But my real question is which is better with say a 425hp engine a smaller diameter driveshaft or a large diameter ?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,764 Posts
86mirage said:
Thank you for the reply and I will look into some driveshaft stores. But my real question is which is better with say a 425hp engine a smaller diameter driveshaft or a large diameter ?

that is why you would call / email a professional drive shaft shop that builds aluminum shafts for street cars and racers.

My drive shaft is 3 inch diameter. I do not know the wall thickness of the tube.
 

·
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang
Joined
·
507 Posts
I have a Denny's driveshaft in my T. Absolutely a top-shelf piece of work. Once you place your order with them, Denny will personally talk to you about your setup, ask a lot of questions, and will make sure he gets your app right. You'll feel confident that you're getting the best setup for your car.
 

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
Joined
·
5,122 Posts
Thank you for serving our country. God Bless You, and all. :welcome: I appreciate your efforts. :thumbup:



All good advice. Larger diameter is more strength than adding tubing thickness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreiciate the support

Hey there,

Thanks alot for the advice and the support. I'm just going to go with the saying go big or go home. I just can't wait to get home, literally. Take care.

SGT Kirk
 

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
Joined
·
5,122 Posts
86mirage said:
Hey there,

Thanks alot for the advice and the support. I'm just going to go with the saying go big or go home. I just can't wait to get home, literally. Take care.

SGT Kirk

If the Iranian's and their friends the Commie Chinese get control of that oil, 70 % of the world's known oil will be controlled by Muslims and Commies, our enemies, and our gas will be $ 10 gallon. :sweat:

Wish you all were home.

As Cousin Bob said in '74, "I was in college 7 years. Damn that was a long war."

JMO
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top