Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help. I have a 64 Chevy Impala replaced the small block with a big block and switched out the 2 spd powerglide for a 700r4 transmission, now i am having an issue with the length of the driveshaft dont know wether to have one built(cost?), have the stock cut and balanced? Also do not know where to go to start looking. I found a company that has one for my application but its $700 and don't know if thats too high. thanks for any advice!

·
Banned
256 Posts
I had a new one build for my SS and it was 325.oo
and I stepped up to a 3" thick wall tube..
they used my yoke..
goning to a bbc I'd have a new tube as any rust will make it weaker..
any truck repair shop should know where the local driveshaft builder is..
I'd bring them your part and tell them what you got, and how hard you'll drive it..
after they look ovr the tube, they may say yours is fine, or advise you replace it..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Inland Empire is the one who wants $700. Denny's doesn't make 2 piece driveshaft anymore ( they just emailed me). I would love to use the stock one but its somewhat rusty and not sure about it. I thank everyone for their input I guess I am just going to have to call around locally and see what i can find if not looks like i am going to have more money wrapped up in my driveshaft than my rebuilt trans lol.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
So I found a couple shops around I guess the going rate for a two piece driveshaft w carrier bearing is $600-$800 crazy
If your D/L is in good shape...The length is only gonna change on the front section of the 2 Pc..

Take both sections to a D/L shop and have the front section shortened, then have both sections balanced together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.