Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a 4-link frame with coil-over and a narrowed Ford 9" rearend. I noticed the OEM Ford 9" pinion is offset from center. My transmission and driveshaft is on center. I believe the 9" came out of a Ford 1/2 ton truck so was the entire driveline in the truck off center ? When I narrow the rearend, I plan to narrow it with pinion on center. Is this the correct way to go or am I missing something important ? :eek:

·
More for Less Racer
20,935 Posts
It doesn't matter, all rwd domestic cars(there are a few exceptions) have some amount of pinion offset. It is the nature of how the pinion comes onto the case off center to match up with the ring gear. You can center it or leave it offset.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
Lot of people leave it offset when they transplant a whole diff without doing any housing work and have no problems. But since your doing the housing anyway and doing a nice 4 link and coil overs,it would look way better and be more correct having the pinion centered so it's a straight shot to the trans.

I will usually try and not to add any more angles to the situation if I can help it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.