Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have a 29 Ford Tudor with a battery that sits pretty much under the passengers seat, but blow floor level.
The seat is not easily removeable, but I do have small access hole to reach the terminals.
However, should I need to swap/remove my battery that is a whole different story.

I'm just wondering if anybody has come up with a simple solution that I could use to improve my current situtation?

Sorry my picture is not so clear, but I figure it will give a rough idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
How about a battery box with a bolt on bottom? Use a floor jack to support the battery for raising and lowering. Might get by with a scissor jack. The battery posts would have to covered with something to eliminate the danger of sorting while installing or removing, but that could just be plastic caps.

There are some commercially available drop-out boxes available, but I have never used one. I built a drop down box for my current Healey project. It swings down in a large arc, but I had a very different frame setup to work with.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
FWIW , the battery in my T is mounted under the car , I built the car 22 years ago . The car has 50k miles on it . I have changed the battery ONCE . I see no cost/ benefit to changing things at this point .
There are very small batteries available that will mount almost anywhere , that's what I would look at if I wanted to change .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Guys, I have a 29 Ford Tudor with a battery that sits pretty much under the passengers seat, but blow floor level.
The seat is not easily removeable, but I do have small access hole to reach the terminals.
However, should I need to swap/remove my battery that is a whole different story.

I'm just wondering if anybody has come up with a simple solution that I could use to improve my current situtation?

I built one for a friend that the battery "box" (more of a triangular frame) was mounted to the frame and slid out sideways. The battery was side terminal which I'd recommend since the cables can be disconnected easily before removing the battery.

·
Registered
151 Posts

One more thing, if it is an AGM battery like Optima it can be mounted on its side or even upside down which may help.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A guy sent me this which looks to be very close to what I was thinking.
Looks to slide/drop down and battery can be slid in from the side.
I like it...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
I did one once with a scavenged spare tire winch from a chevy pickup. It worked well, but I had two batteries to balance the box. Might be difficult to engineer with one battery... unless you drilled a hole down through the center of the battery :D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your replies.
I think I will fabricate my own based on the information I now have.
Working out an easy way to lift it back up will be a big plas if I can find space.

Here is a pic of the Speedway box you mention, which can be had from many suppliers I see. Looks to be decent and workable. I'll probably fabricate mine in stainless steel.

Luggage and bags Bag Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Fashion accessory

1 - 11 of 11 Posts