Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped a tiny socket-head allen bolt to my electric water pump while taking it off of my engine, straight into the oil drainage pan I put underneath the car when changing the oil, and it's full. Magnets don't work on aluminum, so, what is the best way to go about fishing that bugger out without getting hands deep into the oily muck that is in the drain pan? :confused:

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
bolt dropings

if u still have the pump off and u can get a really small extension type magnet down into it.. use another mag on the bottom of pan to move it to a good location. pull the pan mag straight away and stick in the ext mag in the same location..

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Time to get down and dirty, it washes off, or use the suggested nitrile (or latex) gloves - or just go get another bolt and forget about the one you dropped (howinhel can there be that much crud in an oil drain pan - mine could be used to cook supper after I've used then cleaned it)

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you don't have one around the house, go to a pet store or maybe even Walmart and buy one of those little mini dip nets used to remove fish etc from fish tanks.
You could even make one from a wire coat hanger and an old nylon stocking or cheese cloth.
Or, get a slotted spoon from the kitchen.
Tery

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I like the strainer idea, bought one, but ultimately ended up going oil diving with some nitrite gloves...worked perfectly, and got the bolt out successfully and oily. :)

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Funny story
When I used to work at the plating shop; one of the fun gags was to send the new plater's assistant to the Maintenance shop (next to my office) and ask the grumpiest guy (Ralph) for an Aluminum Magnet to fish some parts out of the etch tank. "make sure he gives you an aluminum magnet, these are expensive parts in the etching solution, they're turning into mush" Ralph gives the guy a bar magnet, guy goes back to the line "Idiot, look this is a STEEL magnet, it won't stick to aluminum...see GO BACK NOW" At some point I stopped wondering what they teach in 2nd grade science...

The other gag was tackwelding people's locker doors shut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.