Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm looking at installing a dry sump oiling system on my small block. I would like to prime the system before starting the engine and do it in a no hassle manner. I saw that Peterson fluid systems has a remote oil filter bracket that has a "preoiler " on it. I wrote them to ask how this product could push... or pull oil through the external oil pump
? Never got an answer. Any body here have a suggestion?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
15,341 Posts
It’s pretty common to use a 12 volt oil pump such as seen in the link I included as a pre oiler. These are often used as post oiler for turbos after shut down but should be suitable as a pre oiler.

Bogie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s pretty common to use a 12 volt oil pump such as seen in the link I included as a pre oiler. These are often used as post oiler for turbos after shut down but should be suitable as a pre oiler.

Bogie
Oh ok, use a separate electric oil pump to prime the engine. Brilliant I will look into it.
Thanks Bogie

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
the primer has its own supply from the tank that discharges into the the line going into the engine from the remote filter. There is a check valve to block flow when the line into the filter is pressurized.
I went back to the old way of doing it by taking the belt off and driving the pump with a long belt and a pulley in a drill motor steadied on the roll bar---takes a few minutes longer but is simple and cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.