Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
From the middle of the world
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with a ford alternator, not enough juice to run all the accesories, batery dies after one hour at night, I can't find ahigher amp ford unit, my question is,

would it be possible to add a second GM alternator? the engine has a spare pulley and brackets are no problem, the thing is, can I just wire it spliced into the Ford Granada's wiring?

can two different alternators run in parallel ?

I have several spare GM and Hitachi alternators but not any Fords, and I don't want to spend more money into this car, so please don't suggest to buy a bigger Ford alternator. Besides it will look kinda cool runing two alternators :D

thanks.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
wouldn't see why it won't work........ but you will have to buy a dual alt isolator or diode setup.

Is the battery going dead sitting or while it's running? If it's going dead while sitting putting in a new alt won't help....... you need a bigger battery or dual batteries..... your existing battery might be going bad.

Why not just put the higher amp GM alt in and do away with the ford.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
battery is brand new, and dies while running, lights and stereo on, stereo is a premium sony unit but has no aditional amps, car has dual cooling fans and the headlights are 100 watt H4's, defrost was also running.

I'm sure the alternator is too weak, aren't this alternators like 35 amp or something?

will a 65 amp GM be enough? maybe that's a better option that the duals?

·
Old(s) Fart
6,121 Posts
will a 65 amp GM be enough? maybe that's a better option that the duals?
That was going to be my suggestion. For all the screwing around you'll spend getting two alternators mounted, just replace the Ford unit with a Delco. Around here, 105 amp CS130s can be had for $15 from a wrecking yard. Check full size GMs with the 3800 V6, like the Park Avenue and Olds 88.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was going to be my suggestion. For all the screwing around you'll spend getting two alternators mounted, just replace the Ford unit with a Delco. Around here, 105 amp CS130s can be had for $15 from a wrecking yard. Check full size GMs with the 3800 V6, like the Park Avenue and Olds 88.
those cars never landed on this shores, but I'm sure I can find something better than the Ford, I have several delco units, I think I better use one of them.

sure mounting two alternator will be cool but too much trouble for little gain, and like Henry Ford once said, parts not used don't give trouble and cost nothing.

thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.