Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
42 Chevy Truck
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up a dual fan Dakota Digital controller... Not sure what temperature set point I should use... SBC 383 with aluminum heads, 190 degree thermostat... I'm thinking first fan on at 200... Second fan on at 208 and off at 203... Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The 1st fan temp sounds good to work with your 190 degree thermostat. However, considering your cooler climate, I think might set the 2nd fan for about 212-215 on and 210 off so it only comes on when you really need it. I do get uncomfortable when the temp goes high, but on a car with a good radiator cap there should be no cooling system issues with the temp hitting 215.

Bruce

·
42 Chevy Truck
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you... I was thinking that might be the case... I put it where it is for testing and will change it before I hit the road.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Why are you using 190 thermostat? I would use a 180 and drop your fan settings by 10 degrees. My thought is 180 is high enough to burn the moisture out of the oil so why go higher?

JMO
Tom

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I take the opposite track. 180 degrees is high enough to burn off moisture, but engine efficiency goes up as you raise the temp, so 190 is a little better for mileage and driveabiliy on the street.

If you are running it really hard for short periods of time (racing, towing, etc.), the 180 may give you a few minutes of grace time before the temp goes up, but the final temp will still be governed by the total cooling system. If you have a marginal cooling system that can't keep up to the load, the 180 can give you 5-10 minutes more time before it overheats, but it will still eventually overheat.

Bottom line - either one will work, but I prefer the 190 degree choice for the street.

Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts