Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When setting the timing on a sbc. When I want to retard or advance the dist. which way do I turn the dist. I am exhausted and for the life of me I can't remember. I have to much going on right no I can't think straight. I know this is a dumb question and I should know the answer But I just am wanting to make sure before I beat myself up any more over this motor that I can't get to run. Sometimes you just need to take a break and walk away for a while. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
327 Posts
inquiring_mind2 said:
When setting the timing on a sbc. When I want to retard or advance the dist. which way do I turn the dist. I am exhausted and for the life of me I can't remember. I have to much going on right no I can't think straight. I know this is a dumb question and I should know the answer But I just am wanting to make sure before I beat myself up any more over this motor that I can't get to run. Sometimes you just need to take a break and walk away for a while. Thanks for your help
since different cars have a different rotation going in the direction the rotor turns will retard turning the dist opposite the direction of the rotor rotation will advance the spark.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
Any time you see a vacuum advance canister, it "points" in the direction of advance.

You notice on your SBC, the can is probably on the passenger side pointing CCW. Turning it CCW advances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.