Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to salvage most of a serpentine belt system (already removed) from an '89 Chevy van. My "master plan" is to convert my '86 El Camino and get rid of the v belts.

Q #38: Anyone know if that system had a reverse water pump? I don't have a repair manual (yet) for the van.

Q #39: I have the van's water pump. It looks exactly like my other pumps. Are there any external visual IDs for a reverse pump? I can't read any of the casting #s.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
How you can tell is the pulley, if it`s smooth, and is driven by the smooth side of the belt, it`s reverse rotation, if it`s ribbed and driven by the ribbed side, it`s standard. The pumps appear the same so it does add to the confusion. I hear you on going with a serpentine, this is the same way i`m going, I too wanted to get the system off a 4.3 since they`re the easiest to find, but after looking at it closely, it appears the A/C compressor will be too high up to clear the hood, so I`ve found a complete system on a 91 camaro with a 305 I`m soon going to be snatching.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
DoubleVision,

If you need to install a new AC compressor, I would recommend getting a new compressor. I put three remanufactured R4 compressors on my 91 GTA before getting one that didn't leak or have some other problem. The new R4 compressor I put on my Suburban has not had any problems associated with a poorly re-manufactured unit. Also, I considered something different then an R4 compressor, but could not find anything to fit in the stock serpentine bracket system. Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DV.

I'd have never thought of that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts