Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
De Oppresso Liber
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, Yes another dreaded Duplicolor paint shop question. A buddy of mine has a couple gallons of the Duplicolor base that he is not going to use, so I can get it free.

Question is.... I know that the Duplicolor CC is junk, so can I shoot a better CC over the top of the Duplicolor base ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
You can shoot anything over it but it will not last 3-6 months if you were thinking of using a urethane clear as the color is not made to accept a urethane clear.
Did you do something to the guy to piss him off? Just wondering?

·
De Oppresso Liber
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you do something to the guy to piss him off? Just wondering?[/QUOTE]

Thats funny ! No... he just knows that this build is on a very tight budget. I know that the Dupli color base is not that good, but was wondering if I shot a good clear over it, would it last any longer and look better.

But from what you are saying.. it would be best to something else.

Its going on a 1964 International pickup, was really wanting to go with a single stage to keep it period correct, but everyone keeps telling me that single stage stuff wont last and to go BC/CC.

Just trying to keep it within my budget.

Thanks for your advice !!!!
Bill

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
You can shoot anything over it but it will not last 3-6 months if you were thinking of using a urethane clear as the color is not made to accept a urethane clear.
Did you do something to the guy to piss him off? Just wondering?
I know it's not the best way to go but why can't you shoot urethane clear over it? The first transitional bc/cc systems were using the lacquer color with urethane clear over it. I sprayed a bunch of Dupont Lacquer basecoat color with 550S or 500S I think was the number of the first urethane clear for bc/cc systems. This was a recommended system and it worked well. I will never forget the first one I shot, it was a silver VW Scirocco, I couldn't believe how nice it came out and how I didn't have to buff anymore!

Brian

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Depends a lot on how the the lacquer is made as far as polyol's, so the clear can bond.
It was the 580. (dupont)
Also Dau75 was one. (PPG)
(think my numbers are right.)

Can work and most likely the better the lacquer the better the chance but either way we know it is short term, we just don't know how long.

Couple of ways to help it work is one let the lacquer dry for a few days or even weeks before clearing.
If not the most important thing is a very high solids clear for adhesion and the strength basically to over ride the lacquer. Nothing sticks like an ISO with a lot of polyol.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
I sprayed urathane primer over year old lacquer primer years ago on my friends car (tight bidget) nothing but trouble...ended up stripping the whole car...
urathane clear will trap the lacquer solvents ...Just get some cheap 2K SS paint... its tough too ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.