Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning up my garage the other day and came across my Dad's old JCPenney dwell meter. Brought back alot of memories. I've been hanging on to it just in case I ever got another classic or vintage car.
Anyone out there still use one or has everyone pretty much gone digital?

·
Registered
14,304 Posts
Have several from the good old days they were used for customers still using points. I retain some old points distributors and tune up parts for ‘just in case’ but haven’t used them in decades.

We have done some builds that use points to switch a module, which seems to be used in a small number of instances.

So yeah, I hang on to my dwell meters.

Bogie

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Old reliable.

I mostly just use it to check voltage. But have used it on old tractors and older cars that still have points.

Nothing wrong with points. They just require more maintance(check every 6k/year)which most people don't do so they switch to a newer setup that eliminates them.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I use an Actron multimeter that can measure dwell on the Nailhead. Has served me well for almost 10 years and it was less than $100.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
My son bought a GM tune up system, several meters vacuum gage on the roll aroung unit that a dealership donated to the highschool then they surplused it, Useful for working on our old cars that have limited use, 36 straight 8 pontiac. Model T speedster converted to a distributor. on an old V8 chevy with a dual point mallory crab distributor. I like a tool that uses a protractor with a needle that clamps on the shaft after pullin of the rotor that has a AA batery and light bulb to bench set dual points on an old ford distributor

·
******* Professional
1,290 Posts
What I really miss is the old Sun Oscilloscopes. Nothing else like it for diagnosing misfires. Once you use them enough, a lot of times all you have to do is take a quick look at the pattern to see what is going on and where.

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
151 Posts
I use both. Feeler gauge first and then double check the dwell with the dwell-tach to be sure it is in spec before I move on to idle speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts