Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an update on my 1977 triumph tr7 with the 400sbc engine. I've had the engine out 3 times since my last post, trying different combinations. The 441 heads I used turned out to be cracked, so I put on a pair of 1968 4bbl 327 heads 194/ 160"s. Ran a Speed -pro cam csr185 230 duration 453 lift. I used a 3500 stall convertor...650 spreadbore carb. The car weighs 2650 with me in it ,full of gas. It rad [email protected] Very disapointing. :(
Changed the cam to an old style 280 comp hyd. cam 480 lift and put on the Edelbrock E-street heads and shorty headers. Car ran [email protected] 113mph "some traction prblems". This was on the highway with a G-Tech timmer. The 400 runs alot cooler with the E-heads. Now has 10.7compression,easily runs on 107octane premium gas pump fuel. I would highly recomend these heads.Just bolt them on and GO!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more info

I forgot to mention that the new E street heads I put on are "64cc" chambers.I went from a 74cc chev iron head. As well, I am using LONG slot stamped steal rocker arms. I did Not need longer push rods, it messured up perfect. The EDELBROCK Site says that "some" engines do need 100thou longer rods, each motor is different. I used the Stock GM head bolts with Hardened 30thou thick washers.No interferance problems. Caution- when they say RE-torque after warm up..DO it! I pulled the torque wrench another 1/4 turn to bring them back up to 65lbs. Holding excellent now. I am running my total timing @38 with No issues. These E street heads are very User Friendly and work extreamly well.I was told not to buy them, and that they were a waste of money, and didnt work that great,.. but I have found this to be totaly False. 100% good on a 400. I would run these heads again..GOOD job Edelbrock!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks F-Bird. I will adjust the timming.I feel you are right. And as for the Gtech and run I made,..it was pretty crappy. I spun way to much and had to peddle it. It was just to cold out that day. I will Take it to the Race track this weekend and give it an honest chance now that its nice and warm out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mistake

F-BIRD'88 said:
Good stuff good pics

Where are you getting "107 octane pump gas" ?

Much more power to be had with a performer rpm style manifold and
750 800carb.

The Comp XE 284H-10 cam makes a good bit more power in the 400 than the 280H magnum cam.

i think your car will end up much faster than 113 MPH when dialed in a bit more.
My brain isnt working today.."91 octane" sorry, what was I thinking?? Running My M/T tires at 14lbs. Mabey lower it to 12lbs. The intake and carb just kinda came my way, so I used them. And yes, I feel these heads really helped. I'm 1 second faster so far,..should see alot better ET at the track.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
F-BIRD'88 said:
What headers did you use ( origional application) ?
Cheap Flow Tec headers. Not sure what they actually fit...they are the only ones I could get to fit. I would of liked to use a REAL header, but I would of had to do some serious chopping on the car. The fire-wall is such a weird shape, its hard to make anything fit, LOL.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have been most helpful..Thank you. I like the "lowered " air cleaner bottom Idea, as I DO have height issues. I could have put on a taller scoop, but I sit so low in the car that I can hardly see over the short one thats on LOL. As far as gas & octane,..I will look around and see If I can find something higher.I fixed the fuel line "rubber 6 iches" changed it out to Metal line...thanks for the heads-up. I have a drive shaft hoop on. I found some of my old info on the 400. It a 28thou deck. And it is STD bore flat tops 4 valve relief. Gasket is 39thou compressed. I use Manifold vacume for my DIST instead of taking from the carb.Vacume drops off as engine picks up. Using stock 400 rods with ARP bolts ,Clevite bearings through out. Gearing is 308, this engine likes to push. PROBLEM-with these new E heads, the engine will pull past 6800rpm! I took my foot out of it..I didnt want to blow it up.I'm not sure at what rpm it would stop. With the old heads, it would only pull to 5000rpm. What is the SAFE Zone for these rods??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Long story short...If you all ready have headers, intake and a decent carb, and still have the Stock heads on.....By putting on the E-Streets, you with shave off close to 1 second off your E.T
If you already have Vortec heads, or stock Modified,..your gains will porbibly be 1/2 that... although, I have read on the corvette Forums a fellow shaving of 6 tenths over a set of tricked out Cammels. Mabey not the best "all out" racing head, but great for any 400HP Street engine. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
to the race track

well not much changed. I went 11.79 @ 118mph My 1/8th mile was 97mph. My zero to 60mph was 3.1 seconds. Had my G tech timer with me, it was right on with their clock.
Acording to the Wallace race chart...I have 364 hp. Car weighed in at 2570 with spare tire, full tank of gas,and me in it. I thought the HP was kinda low?? I figured for sure I would of had more HP...I guess not. :(

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
oldhotroddertr7 said:
well not much changed. I went 11.79 @ 118mph My 1/8th mile was 97mph. My zero to 60mph was 3.1 seconds. Had my G tech timer with me, it was right on with their clock.
Acording to the Wallace race chart...I have 364 hp. Car weighed in at 2570 with spare tire, full tank of gas,and me in it. I thought the HP was kinda low?? I figured for sure I would of had more HP...I guess not. :(
That's probably rear wheel HP. If so that puts you =/> 425 HP at the flywheel.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
370 is probably pretty close, again better carb and ignition would get you some but you have a mild cam and shorty headers. Headers can make a huge difference. With good long tubes and a new intake 400+hp would be a sure bet, with a good matched solid cam then you're looking at 425+hp. Port those heads and you'd probably pick up another 25hp.

What you have is probably plenty for that car, but you can always go further.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
F-BIRD'88 said:
Your 1/8th mile mph 97 mph indicates a 123 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Something snipped off the last bit of the run.

What was the 1/8th mile ET and the 60ft times?

I get 326 HP rw based on 118mph and 2570lbs.

I get 369RWHP based on 123 MPH and 2570lbs.

Did you lift before the traps?

1/8th mile MPH x 1.27 ='s MPH (1/4 mile)

1/8th mile ET X 1.57 ='s ET (1/4 mile)

RWHP ='s MPH x .00426 x MPH x .00426 x MPH x .00426 x car weight
net rear wheel
I didnt lift. Rpm was 5000 at the end of the 1/4 I wished I had more info, but I lost my time sheets....Heres the rest of the story- I was 1/2 way home "its 100 miles to the track from here. It was storming and rainning really bad on the way home.I was hydroplaining on the highway. All of a sudden the car lost power. The electric fuel pump stopped. So there I was, stranded in the middle of no whare , raing, lightning, thunder at 10;30 pm, crawling around under the car, soaking wet, looking for a short" that I did not find" Any way..the coat I had on got soaked with water and mud and I tossed it in the ditch frustrated...my time slips in the pocket. :( I got a ride into the next town, woke up the tow truck driver, and got home chilled to the bone,sick, and $200 broker from the tow.
The short was caused by water comming through a hole in the fire wall, going directly into the Fuse Box. :mad:
Going back to the drag strip this Friday. Night time drags..$5.00 bucks to enter. Going down with 4 other cars and a car TRAILER this time. Will post pics.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
You may pick up a couple mph from just lowering your car a few inches, it looks like it rides pretty high.

I'm kind of jealous of the position you're in, a quick car that stil has a lot of room for improvement. My project list has a lot of body, paint, and interior work on it and its not nearly as exciting as picking up 5mph. Best of luck to you in your build and I hope you find some good deals to keep pushing it further.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been told by forum members that the intake and carb I'm running isnt up to the challenge. A 780 holley and a edelbrock rpm performer square bore intake would work better. The Current intake is good from 0 to 5000rpm and my carb is only a 650 spread bore GM replacement. seems I'm running 130cc short on fuel delivery. Thank You to ALL for the great advise. It sure helps :) A solid 11.5 is my goal now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ap72 said:
370 is probably pretty close, again better carb and ignition would get you some but you have a mild cam and shorty headers. Headers can make a huge difference. With good long tubes and a new intake 400+hp would be a sure bet, with a good matched solid cam then you're looking at 425+hp. Port those heads and you'd probably pick up another 25hp.

What you have is probably plenty for that car, but you can always go further.
LOL...your RIGHT!! The power is plenty ,and a Hand full, especially on the street. It can get Squirly really fast, but boy is it fun. But I'm sooo close....must continue.LOL

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Being that this is driven on the street you may want to chase after more power at an earlier rpm rather than at peak. 25hp at 3,000rpm is a lot more fun on the street than 25hp at 6,000 rpm as you can use it more. I would say a carb upgrade is definitely in your future but id hold on to the intake for now and put that money in long tube headers, a well made custom cam, or bowl work. A Performer intake isn't much better than stock but I don't feel it is your biggest restriction. Those 3 things I mentioned can make a huge difference on an engine like yours.

If you can live without a choke (nbd for me) then id look at the holley HP series of carbs or the speed demon carbs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.