Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to drive a '56 DeSoto to college back when it was embarassing. Now, it is cool but they won't let me near the college anymore.

Anyone wanting to earn a few bux helping me finish up a brake job on one please msg. The brake lines are so frozen I can't get them off.

The beast doesn't need much to get it back on the road again and they're such fun to drive.

BG

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
New brake lines should only cost you around $50 if you bend them yourself (easy job really) so I wouldn't be concerned if you have to use some muscle to get the old ones off. You can pick up new steel lines at almost any auto parts store.

Centerline

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Centerline speaks with a straight tongue. Brake lines bends by hand extremely easily and is nearly impossible to kink. Bend away!

Also you must use double flares on the tubes in this critical application. Sears sells one for less than $20. a great addition to your tool box!

To remove stubborn fittings from the master and slave cylinders, heat the iron with a torch. Obviously all the rubber parts need to be out of them before you heat but heat w/ vice grips will pop the threads loose every time. One thought though - if the cylinders are 50 years old, they are almost guaranteed to be pitted and worn beyond usefulness. Master cylinders and slave cylinders are amazingly affordable so if it were me, I would toss the entire brake system and replace it with new. Totally within the ability of the novice mechanic's ability. Only real skill to learn is double flaring.

Useful tip - Use the 'bubble flare' first step of a double flare on the ends of tubes that will have rubber hoses on them. Gives the necessary upset to hold the hose in place when the hose clamp is tightened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts