Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my family has been "shadetree" mechanics for years... we've done up a couple of cars and sold them made a little money... but lately we've thrown around the idea of maybe making it a bigger project than just a hobby... i was wondering if any of you guys that have been around the industry a while would know what kind of earning potential there is for a hot rod shop... feedback is always appreciated... thanx

-ntx

·
Registered
249 Posts
The two shops I deal with look like they make a decent living but not getting rich by any means. Both do mainly 60's-70's muscle cars.
One shop does a couple of cars a year to sell and they do quite well on those since they can discount the labor cost. They use them as filler jobs when times are slow. But usually they do customer cars and make a little on each one after subtracting overhead, but his biggest asset is they really enjoy what they are doing and are making a living doing it.

The other shop is high turnover, get em in, get em out. They specialize in body restoration and usually don't do the whole car. They do very well but with higher overhead (more employees) they have to keep a steady stream coming in. And a body resto doesn't take near the time as a complete car. In fact they do the body work for several restoration shops.
Average is $45 an hour shop rate at each shop but the body resto can cost from 10k Min-30K and beyond depending on the car.

The first shop I described, the owner has bought good potential projects over the years and parked them for future restore and sell jobs.
I would think with the cost of project cars getting higher, that would be a smart investment given you have the storage room.

The two hot rod shops here I know of have been around for years and are scary expensive. Average rod build starts at over 40 grand to have built. And that is an average build. Guess there's a market though or they wouldn't still be there. These two shops do 50's and older mainly.

Earning potential? I have no idea but they obviously make a living at it and look to have fun doing it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts