Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Looks like China made LOTOS or SIMADRE.

About a year ago I won a "salvage" SIMADRE 25 plasma cutter on auction $90.00. The unit was new and only had a very simple problem. A wire was pulled off a connecter when the cover was assembled at the factory. I attached the wire and the machine ran.

For years I have used a Daytona Mig 25 plas-cutter for sheet metal work. It Works fine on stuff up to about 1/8" thick. But many years of shop use were showing. Consumables were getting hard to find

Back to the SIMADRE. My first look at it brought a "What a piece of $***** The paint was applied over a very rough piece (sandblasted) of sheet metal. The air fittings were crude..

Once I overcame the thought of throwing it out. I replaced the fittings, plugged it in and grabbed a piece of 1/8" sheet metal. As soon as I hit the button. All thoughts were reversed!! This thing is AMAZING!! Cuts like a terror. This was on 110 volts.. I then scrounged up an adapter and plugged it into 220. MAN what a cutter!!! Blows thru 3/8 with no problem.. But will it last?.

After 6 months use, I decided to try their larger Model 520D. Ebay $499.00 What a cutter!!. Cuts 5/8" steel brackets with no sweat. And the consumables are CHEAP to buy. Direct from the company in China in less than a week delivery. It took that long to get stuff from Datona Fla..

Will it prove durable? Time will tell. The small cutter is now at home and semi-retired. Still works like new..I think these cutters are the best bang for the buck..

EDIT; I forgot to mention the SIMADRE 520D is also equipped with a TIG torch and DC arc stick welder.. I just use the Plas-cutter tho.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, austincobra asked me to jump in and respond. I'll try and cover the concerns/questions.

The plasma is built at our established welding factory overseas, so yes it is a Chinese made unit. Our MIG welders are made at the same factory and you can search the net for feedback on the quality of our MIG welders. As with any of our products, we design, test, make tweaks, test some more, etc, before we even begin mass-producing these. This means that you get a product that has been put through the paces of "real car guys" before it gets put in your hands. We even had our prototype plasma cutter with a local restoration/custom shop and let them use and abuse it for a few months.. so we are confident it will hold up to most anything you throw at it (within it's capabilities of course). In fact we are offering a 3 year warranty on the product as with our welders.

In addition the consumables are the same common style parts available at any welding supply store.

Also I had some PM's on other forums about the switchable voltage thing. We are offering for FREE (which most charge for) an adapter plug/harness to go from 220V to 110V. The voltage switching is done internally, so all you need to do is plug the adapter in, and plug it into your normal 110V outlet if you don't have a 220V nearby. Here are some pictures of the harness I just ran out and snapped for you guys.

Hope that helps!

-Matt/EW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info. I have two old stangs I'm restoring and while I have a Millermatic 175 love it, I just can't bring myself to spend $1200 or more on their Spectrum® 375 cutter.

Thanks Matt!

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
jonahb said:
Hello, what is the duty cycle rating and amps? I cannot find the specs anywhere online and also how much difference is there when you switch from 120v to 240v. I am considering buying a new plasma cutter but from what I have seen the harbour frieght plasma http://www.harborfreight.com/230-volt-inverter-plasma-cutter-with-digital-display-95136.html with the 40 [email protected] 60 duty cycle seems better (with a similar price on sale).
Get a miller ,youll be sorry....

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Deadbodyman... For a hobby guy these are great cutters. I used mine in the shop and it is a powerful, reliable tool. Duty cycle is 60%. According to my SIMADRE owners manual.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
What if it breaks down??? Where do you get parts and where do you find someone that'll work on them ?
Millers start around 5-600.00 and every part for it can be had at the local dealer ,down the road....in a few minutes....I'm not knocking Chinese tools, I have some.but when it comes to welders and plasma cutters it should say Miller or lincoln in big bold print on the side not made in China somewhere you'll need glasses to see, hobby or not.....its a lot of money to waste so do your homework and ask about repairs and parts before sending the money to China....

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Admitted, service could be a problem. There are two service places on the west coast and I'm sure that Eastwood has someone. So far I've had no problems. If I did, the low cost of the unit, I would simply get another. My last USA plasma cutter lasted over 20 years and the parts/service disappeared..

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Thats my point Bob The Millers are about the same price ,right around 5-600,00 and Miller wont be going out of business any time soon .....They may move to China but they'll still be in business...

·
Registered
19 Posts
jonahb said:
Hello, what is the duty cycle rating and amps? I cannot find the specs anywhere online and also how much difference is there when you switch from 120v to 240v. I am considering buying a new plasma cutter but from what I have seen the harbour frieght plasma http://www.harborfreight.com/230-volt-inverter-plasma-cutter-with-digital-display-95136.html with the 40 [email protected] 60 duty cycle seems better (with a similar price on sale).
Our unit will operate on 110VAC which gives complete versatility, Other units that are only 220VAC limit you if you don't have constant, easy 220v access. I know for me, I'm not always working near the 220 outlet, and may have a parts car out in the driveway I need to cut patch panels off of.. instead of trying to push it into the garage, I can just one of the outside-110v outlets I have and cut with easer. The versatility to use it most anywhere is a huge aspect.

Our unit is a 60% duty cycle at 40 amps and will cut 3/8". Our unit is also 96 volt output . We have a 3 year no-hassle warranty. We will cover ANY issues you will have with the unit during that time period. We have no plans to abandon customers if they have issues. In fact, we are striving to reach out to customers with tech questions on our own tech forums, and other forums outside our realm such as these. We also have out tech-support line open that you can call and talk any questions or issues you have with any of our products. We are enthusiasts too, so we can relate to how frustrating it is to have a question, and not have someone to help solve or talk you through it.

Another feature to mention that is mostly only found in higher end units, is that our unit has a high frequency inverter and plasma ignition start which means you do not need to constantly touch the metal to initiate the plasma arc. This helps when cutting rusted materials (which you know most of our old restoration projects have a lot of!)

Again, I am happy to answer questions about this unit. As with our welders, most times people that are talking negatively about them have little-to-no experience with our actual welder or Eastwood as a company. We haven't built our business on abandoning customers..

deadbodyman said:
What if it breaks down??? Where do you get parts and where do you find someone that'll work on them ? its a lot of money to waste so do your homework and ask about repairs and parts before sending the money to China....
As mentioned above, we have a 3 year warranty where we will gladly repair or replace your unit with essentially no questions asked. We want to make sure you can keep working. Because of this, we will do our best to take care of any warranty issues ASAP. The consumables are similar to any of the top brands, and are available at any local welding supply store (I just had to go buy extra nozzles this weekend and my local welding supply store).

deadbodyman said:
... and Miller wont be going out of business any time soon .....They may move to China but they'll still be in business...
I'm not sure if you are familiar.. but Eastwood has been around for over 25 years in the restoration parts, tools, and supplies business.. we aren't going anywhere. So that comment is quite invalid. We are striving to constantly bring affordable solutions to help make jobs easier, quicker, and more affordable to the DIY guy like you and I.

In Fact- If anyone has any reservations about trying out Plasma out. What I can offer is to try if for 30 days.. use it. abuse it. If you hate it for any reason, or it doesn't meet your expectations, return it for a refund with no hassle. We have tested and tuned these to be very nice units, and equal the quality and capabilities of the leaders in the industry.

Hope that helps/answers some questions, and as always, feel free to PM me directly if you have any questions or concerns.

-Matt/EW

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
Matt Eastwood....

Hi,if Matt says use the plasma cutter for 30 days and if you dont like it,return it fior a refund,take that to the bank,Matt has always been straight with me,so i have no doubt he will continue to back all of his products. i DO NOT buy ANYTHING electric from HARBOR FREIGHT PERIOD,,,.,

·
Registered
360 Posts
I really want to try a Chinese plasma cutter actually, preferably one of those 3 in ones.. And not to be a doubter, but I somehow doubt these Eastwood ones are made specifically for them. Maybe they throw the specific decal on, or change the colour, but that's about all I can really see happening. :D

As for service, for a $300 chinese plasma cutter,I'm willing to buy a schematic, and buy electronics for it at the local store.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I think it's great to see another budget machine on the market, and while I am an Eastwood Customer time will tell about the durability/reliability of these units (Welders/Cutters).

As for myself, I went on Ebay and bought a used Hypertherm 380 for $300.00. It has done everything I could ask of it with absolutely no troubles, and consumables are available locally-

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Now thats a deal. a used US made unit rather that one from China would be my choice too ...is hyperthrem still made in the US nowdays or did they go with the cheap labor too.
My mig is around 35 yrs old and I use it every day...I can still get parts for it too. plus it has extra drive wheels for welding stainless and aluminum.and I paid less than 300 for it over 10 yrs ago.
Buying a good name used one is also a better way to go IMO...
I'll tell ya what though Eastwoods has some exellent salespeople and are great at targeting hobbiests. theres a big market out there selling tools to people that dont know where the good stuff is or how to get it....Your better off at Harbor frieght and avoid the middle man that sticks an american name on it...plus theres no waiting for something ,theres a store 3 miles from my shop.When I see the prices in the Eastwood catalog I just laugh and wonder how they can stay in business. I just read the artical in streetrodder about the leadless body lead and I gotta say I almost went out and orderd some..ALMOST.....good advertising goes a long way too....

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Behind the scenes at Eastwoods. Written by another member ....I also made up a better name for them ...... Fareastwood......

Eastwood soda blaster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the Eastwood blaster with the soda adaptor when they first came out. its been a good tool to have around. Just can't leave soda in it for a long time. I've seen a few others now from harbor freight, and Clarke. I'd bet they are the same, except for the soda adaptor and my sone has used it with soda without the adaptor.

I also want to add something. I had a very bad experience with Eastwood who I was spending IMO a good bit of money with. I had also called their tech line and got minimal help.

I was in the area where they are. My son wanted to paint his truck with the flat black paint that they sell. I had to ask some questions to.
I felt like I was a bother to the 2 guys working the counter. I also wanted to spend some time looking at their products that I had been looking at in there catalog.

They got many phone calls while I was looking through the store. What got me upset, especially since I had called them a few times was they made fun of everyone that called. IMO they acted like everyone was a idiot or stupid.

I left with the feeling that I was a burden to deal with and I didn't like the way they made fun of customers.

I sent a pretty serious e-mail about this also to Eastwood and never got a responce.

Since then I have not bought one thing from them. That is a loss for them since I do spend some money.

Ben Braun

Ben Braun

1 - 18 of 18 Posts