Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone have experience with an easy pedal clutch to put in a 327 / around 325 hp 64 vette. it should be good for some aggressive driving but also easy to push in for my wife to drive.
Thanks, Frank, [email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is a possibillity, I need new entire clutch kit. don't know how much extra and what is involved for a hydraulic clutch. do you know if there are easy mechanical clutches that are "good"

Thanks, Frank

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Also---make sure it is a diaphram clutch.

In my experience the 11"-12" 3-finger Borg&Beck, can be real hard on the left knee and leg.

When I finally replaced the 3-finger with a diaphram in my 79 chev pick-up----was almost like a hondacar clutch. (Well it felt that way)

Bryan

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Bryan Beat me to it... :D

It seems every "Upgraded Clutch" I've ever put in a Vette, is way more stiffer than a stock system..

I had a 56 , that you had to strain to get it all in..then lock and hold your knee to keep it in..that was a So Called Racing Clutch For the day..this was in the 60's...

It went away after a few rush hour drives..Only one leg was getting over developed..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,

just ran accross a Keissler? engineering page ,they have what they call a "couples clutch" The pressure is 450 FT-LB and they claim you can easy push it in with your hand, I wonder if they can handle any torque at all. can't contact them 'till monday, could be interesting if it works?

Frank

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
My dad had a Silver Anniversary Vette years ago 80-83
I personally thought that clutch was pretty easy to dis-engage.

Probably a 10-1/2" diaphram
I think a 11" is the max for a diaphram.

Going from the 12" Borg & Beck to the 11" diaphram, I noticed no difference in holding or grabbing. This truck has been used for towing since I bought it in 79. Also has a 454, The clutch was changed in 1990 and is still holding up.

A bent finger diaphram also will create more centrifical holding force as RPMs increase.

The more fingers---the easier to depress.

Bryan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,

Any thought about a hayes diaphram clutch, i have heard they were hard to depress but may be they were talking about the borg and beck or long clutches??

Frank

·
ASE Certified Master Machinist
1967 Chevrolet Biscayne 10-71 blown 433 Big Block Chevy, T400 & 12 bolt 3.73 rearend
332 Posts
Frank, I installed a centerforce gold diaphram clutch in a 63 vette after rebuilding the 327/340. The pedal pressure was very user friendly and it held well. The vettes owner wanted it so both her and her husband could drive it. :D

Barry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Barry,

That is the reason for my thinking, my wife is also going to drive it, she never "felt" the old clutch but I think the centerforce will be OK and you gave me also a reason for that. I see there is a centerforce 1 & 2 ,I didn't see a "gold" version?? any info for that, thanks.

Frank

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
frankgv said:
Thanks,

Any thought about a hayes diaphram clutch, i have heard they were hard to depress but may be they were talking about the borg and beck or long clutches??

Frank

I have a hayes in both, the 59 Elky with a hydraulic, and the 79Chev pick-up with a mechanical clutch. Both are 11" bent finger.

The 59 is a bit easier with the hydraulic, but neither clutch could be considered as 'stiif'. both very easy to operate.

The ratios of the arms of the cross shaft (Z-bar) play a very important role in the stiffness of the pedal.

If the arm on the clutch pedal rod is longer than the arm that pushes the throw-out release arm, the easier it is to push the pedal.

might want to look into a possibility that there are different cross shaft part numbers for different years of the same generation Vette.

Bryan

·
Registered
107 Posts
Frank, I also have a 64 vette, and I installed a Ram clutch, which is good for up to 450HP, and the clutch pedal effort is fine. I also trashed all the stock clutch linkage and installed from Corvette Central their rod end clutch linkage kit. $74.00. Excellent. Very smooth, solid feel, clutch operation. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts