Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to make a picture of a dog into a car window decal. I know theirs got to be an easy way to flip the image into a black and white, drop the background and then flip it back, so white is black, and black is white, so the detail ends up on the vinyl.

Is there any photo program with an easy button?:smash::D
I do a small amount with GIMP but have never been able to figure it out. I've made some cool B&W embossed portraits but that's as close as I have ever gotten.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
How about some "old skool" tricks.

Back in the sixties and seventies I used to do "acrylustrations".

This is done on glossy paper.. I used mostly magazine images (Playboy, etc.).

Spray 5-6 coats of acrylic lacquer clear over the image. Then soak it in warm water. The paper soaks up and carefully peal/rub it from the image. The ink/image stays. Let it dry, then shoot a light coat of clear on the back. Now you have a decal.

To add to paint job. Shoot a coat of clear on the surface. Then a light coat on the decal. Lay decal into the wet clear and squeege out air bubbles. Bury the entire panel in 4-5 coats of clear. Finish as usual.

I would think that the decal could be added to glass with modern adhesives.

I did many tool boxes, bike fenders/tanks and several of my cars with these images. Amazingly they don't fade badly.. Adult artist images done on the filled quarter windows in my old Baga bug held up for 16 years. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
white background.

I saw one I did in the 70's the other day on a piece of wood. If the image was originally done on white paper they sometimes would not use any white ink, the white parts would be clear. then you need to spray some white to the back side after getting the paper off as bob described.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts