Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Germany. I've found an old post that fits here, but it doesn't really help me - I'm facing the same question: 1970 Chevy C 10. 12-bolt rear axle, 3.07:1 ratio and an EATON LSD with the same casting number. when i look at eaton for a rebuild kit, i only find numbers with 195xx. Which one is my LSD comparable to so that I can order spare parts? Eaton support referred me to this post here :-D :-D Translated the axle code:

• TPH - 3.07:1 Pos
  • 06 - month
  • 30 - day of the month
-W-Warren, MI
  • 2 - nightshift
  • E - Posi-Traction source

Attached are a few photos of the casting numbers.

Michael

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Locking hubs
Brown Automotive tire Fluid Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system
Light Audio equipment Automotive tire Rim Gas
Water Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper
Water Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Wood

·
Registered
191 Posts
29402-00S That's a pretty standard kit that fits almost every GM Chey Posi unit and Ford 8.8" rear ends. Look at all the different applications for the 29402-00S Clutch Kit. I've used Ford 8.8" kits in Chevy 12 Bolt Posi's with no issue. Just need to make sure you have sufficient Load on the Sun Gears. It may require shimming to obtain the desired tightness. Measure your clutch packs for each side when you remove them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
29402-00S That's a pretty standard kit that fits almost every GM Chey Posi unit and Ford 8.8" rear ends. Look at all the different applications for the 29402-00S Clutch Kit. I've used Ford 8.8" kits in Chevy 12 Bolt Posi's with no issue. Just need to make sure you have sufficient Load on the Sun Gears. It may require shimming to obtain the desired tightness. Measure your clutch packs for each side when you remove them.
Thanks for the link. I already have the file. however, I can only find an 8.875" GM 12-bolt car there, but no truck. There is a 12-bolt c-clip, but 3.73 and up - I have 3.07. I just want to be 100% sure when ordering - here comes that wrong part, it takes over 1 month to exchange and send back and forth.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the link. I already have the file. however, I can only find an 8.875" GM 12-bolt car there, but no truck. There is a 12-bolt c-clip, but 3.73 and up - I have 3.07. I just want to be 100% sure when ordering - here comes that wrong part, it takes over 1 month to exchange and send back and forth.
See page 14. The 3.07 gear ratio is right below the 3.73 and up listing for 1/2 Ton Trucks. It shows an Eaton
19587-010 posi differential. Take that number and go to page 24 look for that differentlial and it will show you what kit is required. I see a 29402-00S Kit which fits a myriad of GM Rear ends as well as the Ford 8.8" unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See page 14. The 3.07 gear ratio is right below the 3.73 and up listing for 1/2 Ton Trucks. It shows an Eaton
19587-010 posi differential. Take that number and go to page 24 look for that differentlial and it will show you what kit is required. I see a 29402-00S Kit which fits a myriad of GM Rear ends as well as the Ford 8.8" unit.
Thank you for your help, now I've found it too - didn't see the 2nd line (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the guts of the car and truck diffs interchange as long as both are 30 spline---trucks were a coarse 17? spline until 1964.
It´s a 30 spline. If I did my research correctly, the Posi differ from the outside in that the 2 "windows" on the trucks are the same size and the housing is a bit more massive

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
the carrier cases are different from car to truck, but the internal gears are the same. I use the clutch from the Ford 8.8 as a Ford replacement part, not the Motorsport part number, which takes a little modification, but the clutch from Eaton will go right in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts