Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or has anybody else noticed the Bidders on Ebay Car stuff? What I'm talking about is when you look at a lot of the current Ebay Auto Auctions that there is now a Bidder1 through at least Bidder 9 out there, and it appears they are all working together.

I was bidding on some car parts on Friday, was high Bidder (and it wasn't cheap stuff), and was up against Bidder 4 in the last 3-5 minutes-then Bidder 5, 6 and 4 all got in together and wiped me out. Now this has happened on more than one occasion for me-I was just looking at a few of the Auctions and again, these guys are buying all of the good stuff-anybody know what's oing on here?

Look here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...ategoryZ6168QQihZ013QQitemZ230085122640QQrdZ1

and here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVROLET-DRAG-RACE-CAR-

and here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/64-C...tegoryZ98062QQihZ007QQitemZ170075209611QQrdZ1

Somebody's got a lot of dough!

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
All I know is Ebay is sucken these days! They keep raising there sellers fee's. It is getting to hard to find the good deals and when I try and sell something I always get a none paying winner. We need a Hotrodders.com auction right here! For the good honest guys. :drunk:

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
e bay

Hi,i buy a lot of car parts on ebay,as well as digital cameras and such. i have never sold anything there. i have only had 1 problem(crappy diamond ring) i bid on most of the things i buy,in the last 1 or 2 minutes of the auction.and win 90 % of the items. thats what you have to do,if you bid when theres still a few days left,you are driving the price up. watch the item,know what it is worth to you,wait till the last minute and bid (thats called sniping) im boatbob2

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
37FordLS6 said:
Ebay no longer lists your EBay id on item over $200.00
This is to prevent fake second chance offers being sent to
you. The lister of the item does see your id

Bill

I think this answers my question-I was not aware of that-

Thank you very much!

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
Try Craig's list. It's free, but not an auction. Great place to find bargains though. E-bay used to be, but to many people on there now. You get a few with deep pockets who want hard to find items and you're SOL.

I hate snipers, but that's about the only way to get something, especially if it's hard to find and/or popular, and you don't want to needlessly drive the price up. Boatbob2 laid out the only successful plan of action.

There used to be a couple hot rod and old car related parts auction sites, but I guess e-bay ran them out of business.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Speaking of ebay, do any of the high dollar cars really sell? I'm into 442s and I often do a search of completed auctions. Seems like virtually all of the high dollar cars are "reserve not met". I'm especially suspicious when the car is not sold and there's a message that "next bid meets reserve". Even funnier is when a car that was "sold" at some outragous price shows up for sale again in a month or so.

Yeah, I'm sure there will be a lot of people who say they sold their car for this or that, but all I can say is check the completed auctions periodically.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
I had an ebay experience last year with the bidding, and won at a fair price.
I thought about it for several days, waited for my stuff to arrive,
and analyzed what I thought had happened with false bidders, and made notes.

I emailed ebay with the information saying that it looked like I was really bidding against myself,
and in a week or so, some bidders' and the seller were banned from the site.

Probably just a minor annoyance to them,
until they find another alias and ip address from which to operate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've boughten over 180 products from ebay. As small as a key ring or car literature and as large as the' 39 I-H truck, the '49 shoe and the '59 Imperial in my intro. I've never had issues. I also try to e-mail the selle first and ask questions to "feel" them out. On the other hand, I've received "bunk" e-mails from what appears to be ebat trying to get info from me. If it doesn't have your screen name in it or askes for $ or a password, it's not ebay.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ebay is a great thing. I've had over 600 transactions and really only had two that were bad. I both buy and sell. It has saved me a ton of time, especially on car parts. Instead of wiping out a day searching for an obscure part in the junkyard, a few keystokes and there it is. And usually at a fair price. As a seller you literally have worldwide exposure(I've shipped to Japan) but this is a double edged sword when it comes to buying. There is a lot more competition. Alot of people are negative on snipers but I have become one as well since that is how the game is played. In the closing seconds, I bid the most I am willing to pay and if I win, I win and if I loose, I loose. As a seller, I expect things to heat up in the final minute. As a buyer, I don't worry about shill bidders. If they outbid the legit bidders, they are stuck with the item so I don't think shill bidding is as big of a thing as some think it is. Especially since most of the bidding is done in the last 60 seconds.
Bob

·
5,122 Posts
bnewsom said:
Ebay is a great thing.

As a buyer, I don't worry about shill bidders. If they outbid the legit bidders, they are stuck with the item so I don't think shill bidding is as big of a thing as some think it is. Especially since most of the bidding is done in the last 60 seconds.
Bob

Except when 4 buddies working together are bidding against you. Even if they win, the money is still in their same pocket, and they still got the stuff to resell again. It is a scam that has been run at antique and car auctions for decades to run the price up, then let you win. They do it locally here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
xntrik said:
Except when 4 buddies working together are bidding against you. Even if they win, the money is still in their same pocket, and they still got the stuff to resell again. It is a scam that has been run at antique and car auctions for decades to run the price up, then let you win. They do it locally here.

For the record I didn't say I like it but I see no way to stop it. That's why I just wait to the last few seconds and put my max. bid in and let the chips fall where they may. But for sure the world be a better place if everyone just played by the rules! I guess I'm so naive I have believed all the auctions that are relisted "due to deadbeat bidder" were just that. No telling how many are from shill bidding.
Bob

·
Newskool
246 Posts
Ebay's a great place if you want to sell something or if you know how to look you can get stuff cheap!

I just bought a grill for my car off of ebay. They normally sell for as much as $200 USD used. I got mine for something like 60 shipped... How? It was listed as something along the lines of 73 nova grille headlight bezels.

It included both the grill and headlight bezels but thats not how the wording made it sound. You also had to click on the ad to see a picture. I ended up getting an awsome deal.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
xntrik said:
yes .......and now they can commutate with tex mess and the odd guy out really gets the hose ............ honesty,rules just words in a dictionary not something some folks live by but expect others to.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
I just bought a Cb550 (1977) off there, usually no problems but the site is so big I'm confused as to why they have to raise rates... oh yea- to pay for the boss' new yacht and he wants a rolls too. :drunk:

·
5,122 Posts
pepi said:
yes .......and now they can commutate with tex mess and the odd guy out really gets the hose ............ honesty,rules just words in a dictionary not something some folks live by but expect others to.
Hey, this is the inevitable result of the "great social experiment of the 60s" attitude that the liberals started and has taken over this great country of ours.

There are no absolutes, no sound foundational values, honesty and ethics are for old people, and if it feels good do it.

Teachers can't read or write. Students graduate, and get college degrees and are semi-literate at best. Ethics are taught with the basis of, "if you don't get caught, then it is OK to do it" and if you do get caught, "it is always somebody elses fault". NO accountability.
They are victims, and everybody is out to get-them.

disagree? You haven't been paying attention.

Didn't mean to soapbox and hijack. :nono:

Grandpa used to say, "If you want to train a dog, first you have to be smarter than the dog."

·
Registered
452 Posts
Then why did you????
I've had good luck buying and selling for the most part. I have had a few deadbeat bidders who bid on something and don't pay.
What little bad luck I have had buying usually was in buying some item as a gift for my wife. A couple of bad experiences there.

I am pretty well known for giving an honest description of what I am selling and I attempt to show quality photos of the item.
I find that paying that extra .35 or so to have a photo show on the list of items usually gets better bids.
I have never had anyone ask for their money back on any item I have sold and have never had a complaint from a buyer.

As for selling tips
A honest and quality description of the item being sold.
Good photos of said item
A gallery photo is a must to get the bux
Fair shipping. list the weight an give a couple of shipping options. The bidder will feel like bidding more if he feels like you are treating him fair on the shipping.

Buying

Know what you are buying an what the going price is.
Check the items w/o Gallery photos. I just got a 300.00 electrical panel for my sailboat for 85 because the guy didn't post a photo
Don't be drawn into a bidding war.
ask questions if you have them. Vendors who give good answers are usually good to deal with, those that don't answer shy away from.
Ask what the shipping is going to be before bidding if it isn't posted. Getting with a high shipping rate to make up for a low selling price is BS.
Read the feedback and go back a ways if they have negative feed back read it an see if it is honest feed back or just a whiner.

If you get a email from a scammer pretending to be from ebay forward it to [email protected] It gives those guys something to earn their pay on.
All actual messages from ebay will show up on your My ebay messages.

I have to admit that I have become more of a fan of craigslist in the past few months. Especially as far as selling goes. And there is the occasional bargain to be picked up when buying.
It is a good place to get rid of your extra's that arn't worth a whole lot and are too much trouble to put on ebay or take to a swapmeet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Best way to purchase at ebay. Watch the item and its bid history days before end. This will show you if someone is out there and willing to overpay to get item.

I will look at item and figure what i will give top dollar . Then in the last 30 secs post a proxy bid . With the time it takes to flip bids you may win at the end. i have had a great out come with this technic .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.