Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am in the process of tuning my new engine, and removing some of the old emissions wiring and sensors when I stumbled upon what seems to be the ecm. I didn't even think carbureted cars had em, but a bunch of wires went to it, right along with a set of wires that goes from the base of the distributor to the ecm. What would happen if I removed the ecm and wires? I've run the car and driven it a couple times just to break it in/get a feel for it so I don't think it does anything without t it being hooked up. Any feedback is appreciated. Car is 86 caprice

Attachments

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
See attached diagram of a typical '80 ish CCC engine control system.
The engine will require this ECM to run properly.

The engine can be converted a non computer setup by installing a vacuum advance distributor and conventional carb.
The dash instruments may not work and cat. converter may need to be removed.

vicrod

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the original hei distributor, is it possible to make it run without the computer? I also heard that the ecm also controls torque converter lockup. I just want it to run correctly, and to get rid of all the old wires/sensors because none of them will work with the new engine

·
81 Vette
77 Posts
The ccc system controls the carb and distributor via a host of sensors. If the ecm is unplugged the carb goes into a rich, limp home mode. The car will run but not good. Like others have posted you need to replace the carb and dizzy with something pre 1980 if your going to remove any part of the ccc system

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks for all the help. I'm going to a vacuum advance hei distributor, removing the ecm and old stuff. How should I wire up tcc solenoid for overdrive?

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
The trans will need a TPC (throttle position cable) system, a converter lockup kit and a speedometer gear. All are available from many sources. TCI is one.

vicrod

1 - 6 of 6 Posts