Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purcashed a 2002 Lincoln Towncar with the 4.6 liter motor. I am looking for ways to increase the horsepower from 220 up towards 300. I cant seem to find a chip for this motor nor does K&N have a system.. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supercharger

matt167 said:
roush supercharger for a Mustang, simple, and easy, probably the best bang for the buck, but not the cheapest
Hey Matt, How much does a supercharger cost and how much horsepower increase and does it affect your fuel economy> thanks matt

·
Newskool
246 Posts
If you're looking for HP don't worry about fuel economy.

You have way more fun if you don't worry about fuel prices as much as most people.

A supercharger will decrease fuel economy. Not sure by how much on a newer vehicle like that. If I remember correctly it will be atleast $1500 for the parts you would need alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chip

topdogger said:
If you're looking for HP don't worry about fuel economy.

You have way more fun if you don't worry about fuel prices as much as most people.

A supercharger will decrease fuel economy. Not sure by how much on a newer vehicle like that. If I remember correctly it will be atleast $1500 for the parts you would need alone.
Hey Topdogger, what about a chip? how much would this give me. the motor is producing 220hp.. and what chip do you recommend. I cannot find a specific chip for it. Who would you recommend to reprogram the computer and how much hp would that give.. thanks

·
Newskool
246 Posts
I couldn't honestly tell you when it comes down to a chip.

I like the old saying, "there's no replacement for displacement" and simply love old fashioned raw torque. I don't mind gettings 8mpg. If you ask me its worth it.

Now I think is the point where you have to decide. Do I want to keep my motor under 300HP, do I want to keep it stock or do I want to be racing everyone I see.

With an engine under 300HP you fuel economy won't be that terrible. When you start going over 300 is when it starts getting bad.

I've got a 5.7 with flat top pistons an edelbrock performer intake and a 650 thunder series carb and I get 8mpg when I'm baggin the crap out of my car everywhere I go. That reminds me I haven't tuned my carb yet...

But back on subject. I would say try to keep under 300HP. Unless you are okay with getting poor fuel economy. If you build up more HP you will have more expenses in making your car handle the extra power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
300hp

topdogger said:
I couldn't honestly tell you when it comes down to a chip.

I like the old saying, "there's no replacement for displacement" and simply love old fashioned raw torque. I don't mind gettings 8mpg. If you ask me its worth it.

Now I think is the point where you have to decide. Do I want to keep my motor under 300HP, do I want to keep it stock or do I want to be racing everyone I see.

With an engine under 300HP you fuel economy won't be that terrible. When you start going over 300 is when it starts getting bad.

I've got a 5.7 with flat top pistons an edelbrock performer intake and a 650 thunder series carb and I get 8mpg when I'm baggin the crap out of my car everywhere I go. That reminds me I haven't tuned my carb yet...

But back on subject. I would say try to keep under 300HP. Unless you are okay with getting poor fuel economy. If you build up more HP you will have more expenses in making your car handle the extra power.
thanks , I am just trying to increase to 300hp however I am having trouble finding the right combination. There are tons of after market for the mustang 4.6 however I cant find anything on the lincoln 4.6 so It leads me to believe they may interchange? thanks

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Apollo said:
thanks , I am just trying to increase to 300hp however I am having trouble finding the right combination. There are tons of after market for the mustang 4.6 however I cant find anything on the lincoln 4.6 so It leads me to believe they may interchange? thanks
yes most parts do interchange, some electronic chips won't due to ECU diffrences

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chips

matt167 said:
yes most parts do interchange, some electronic chips won't due to ECU diffrences
Matt, Do you suggest I chip it or take it to a speed shop and have it computerized. what type of hp should I see as a result. thank you

·
Mem3er!
43 Posts
A towncar!!! I love thoes things!! GOOD CHOICE!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

The most popular Mod I've seen on town cars and orther panther bodies is a supercharger.

·
Banned
5 Posts
First off, I can't remember if the Town Car has a DOHC or SOHC. If it's a DOHC, Mustang parts will interchange alot, but if it's a SOHC look for Crown Vic parts. Either way, check out Kenny Brown because he is an awsome guy and builds awsome cars. :D Don't be THAT scared about losing gas mileage with these modular motors, my cousin has a Lincoln LS with twin turbos and 24" wheels, produces over 400hp total, and still gets 18mpg on the highway and about 13mpg in the city with holding the pedal to the floor all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts