Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys my carb on my truck is flooding. Yesterday after getting off the interstate my truck died on me. Then tuesday after getting off the interstate it tried to stall or it did stall. The motor is a 305 with just headers and intake with eddey 600. The carb does seem a little inconsistent at times. Sometimes at a red light it seems idle a little high then other times it seems to be idled just right. It doesnt do it every morning, just after a nice little drive. The carb also havnt been on there a good month. I bought it from a guy who had it on his truck(1967 C-10 350) and it was running very strong when i took it off. The truck runs good just never know when it wants to die on me.

Ok fellas take it away.

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
Do you have a way to check fuel pressure? Those Edels don't like more than about 5.5#.

Pop the top off the carb (you'll need a torx driver, #20 I think). You'll need to disconnect the choke and pump linkage (and the fuel line, of course). Don't lose those tiny clips! Flip the top on its back, slide the hinge pins out of the floats and remove them, then carefully pull out the needle valves. Inspect the seating surface of the needle for dirt, gouges or peeling of the sealer material. Inspect the valve seat for the same. Using compressed air (hose or can) blow back through the valve seats to flush the passages from the fuel inlet. Watch for junk coming out (capture it with a rag as you blow). If everything checks out, reassemble the float valves and floats and then check float settings per Edel's instructions.

Check the primary and secondary jets for junk while you've got the top off the carb. Check the bottoms of the bowls for junk. If you're finding junk anywhere, your fuel filter (assuming you have one) isn't doing its job. Reassemble the carb (you'll need to remove the metering rods before putting the top back on the carb body). After the top is back on, re-insert the metering rods and check for free movement. A stuck metering rod would be another possibility for the symptoms you describe.

All of the above can be done with the carb on the motor. If you have the time to pull it completely off, I would pull it and thoroughly disassemble and clean it.

EDIT: Dang it, F-Bird types faster than me! :rolleyes:

·
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My truck flooded on me again yesterday. It was fine all the way home until I stomped it to pass a car, when I slowed down to the red light it died. It only does it after lots of throttle. When I finally got it started and made it home check the carb and there was gas dripping out of the side where the throtle cable is. Whats the problem fellas.

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
American Muscle said:
Whats the problem fellas.
The problem is you're not paying attention to what you're being told here! :spank:

A standard carburetor is not designed to have pressure in the fuel bowls. If the float valve is not closing completely (pressure from the fuel pump is too high, or there is dirt on the float valve seat, or the float is not set correctly), the float valve allows fuel to continue to flow into the bowls until they fill up. Pressure begins to build in the bowl and fuel begins flowing out wherever it can. This floods the carb and your engine runs like crap, if at all.

This is not going to fix itself. Either do what we have told you to do above or take it to a mechanic who knows what he's doing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.