Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
This thread is nearly 4 years old but on your Edelbrock carb look at the fast idle screw that rides on the electric choke ramp piece that make the idle higher when you first engage it. On the holley carbs on the plastic fast idle cam there are steps on it that as the choke opens up if you slightly blip the throttle it will allow the idle to go down and eventually when the choke is open enough when you blip the throttle it will go to the regular idle setting and sometimes on the holley at least as I have not had an edelbrock carb in my hands for many years on the fast idle screw setting sometimes depending on how you got the screw set for a certain rpm range, I have had mine even though the choke was all the way open and the choke fasts idle cam should have been fully at its resting point to no longer engage the fast idle screw sometimes the screw was still slightly making contact with the fast idle cam and I would have to lower the screw out just enough to whre it would no longer catch on the fast idle cam while it was in idle.

It would make my choke idle a little bit lower on the rpm wise but not enough to effect anything. I also thought of at times on the lowest fast idle cam area to sand it down just a hair so I can set my idle at a slightly higher rpm to where I want it to be and also to make sure my fast idle screw did not make contact on the fast idle cam and thus hanging up my idle and would make it stick sometimes and hitting the throttle a few times would free it. Just something to check.

When I setup my electric chokes I always set up for the highest spot on the cam and then release it with the choke fully open and allow the fast idle cam to drop down then check and make sure while my carb is at idle and the throttle not open up at all I make sure my fast idle screw has enough clearance between it and the fast idle cam and turn it out just enough so the sticking or hanging up does not happen.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.