Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Edelbrock Performer carb on a SBC that randomly floods. The carb was almost new when I got it and after a few miles it would flood sometimes. I put a kit in it and it worked fine for 2000+ miles then started flooding again.

The fuel system is new with a filter before and after the pump, the pump is a stock mechanical. I don't think it's trash in the fuel and the floats are good.

What's up?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know what the fuel pressure is, it's a stock mechanical pump, never had a problem with presurre using a stock mechanical pump.

It has new needles and seats.

The floats are set correctly, it worked great for about 2000 miles before it started flooding again.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
If the fuel pressure isn't too high (which it may be) then its either a poor seal at the needle and seat, or the floats are set improperly. That's it.

That is assuming that your problem is actually flooding though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
regulator

my truck did this a few times before i got a good pressure regulator, and never sense. and for that matter, i had issues with cheap visual fuel filters letting stuff get into the seats and causing issues, not even shutting my fuel pump off and running the truck out of gas helped that issue which is why i gatta use a good filter.... and i live in silt ville lol =]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Those AFB style carbs are very sensitive to pressure. They need to run around 4-5.5 psi, which is under what most mechanical pumps produce. You need a good regulator, preferably one with a return line to keep pressure steady.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is my first AFB style carb, usually run a Holley and never had this problem before. I'll get a regulator with gauge and see if it helps. It's flooding just like before I replaced the needles and seats, it must be the pressure is right on the limits.

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
Ihad a similar issue with two Edelbrocks on a tunnel ram and big cam, when I got it the idle mix screws were so far out of adjustment the guy had the idle adjustment screw set so the primary butterflies were slightly open to keep it running, allowing fuel to drip into the venturies, easy fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.