Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6-71 on chev 350 Edelbrock aluminum heads.

streetrod hendry j.

Msd ignition no vac advance.

ive been a long time contributor and user of this site.

a friend brought this streetrod over. It runs but nothing like my beloved Willys. Same color as the one on the site lead pictures.

he has 15-16 initial advance and 28-30 all in by 2000 rpm. It idles rough an smelly goes into roll occasionally. It’s a 350 near new 9. To 1 compression. Headers and normal stuff. Edelbrock 750 carbs with 6 psi fuel pressure.

I started of by explaining the value of an air/ fuel mixture gage like I used. These can tell a lot if you understand exactly how the carbs work.

I ran Holley carbs on mine and had very little issues with them. I’ve not done much with these carbs so I’m looking for some direction. It would appear that these née manifold referenced power circuit just as hollers do. We’ll do a plug test sat. But I don’t expect much mine never showed much unless I really got after it or went on longer cruises. Mine ran in the rain as well as freezing cold with no issues. I’d like to se vacuum advance on this one as I used it on mine very effectively. It gives a lot more advance idling which smoothed things out.I fixed several Holley carb motors with just vac advance and addition of AFR gage so you could see wat was going on in the carbs. Adjustable metering plates made tuning super easy even with roadside stops to make changes. Be sure to have fire extinguisher handy as gas gets spilled on hot parts.

his motor over heats eventually some but not excessively. Big fan and nice shroude. However he runs no thermostat. I told him to use 160-180 then we can look further. No thermostat allows too much flow not enough time to soak up heat. I had 180 in mine never over heated even with the ac running and idling in traffic.. he has a bds scoop just like mine with the air cleaners. Again mine was trouble free and an item I serviced once a year. His car doesn’t weigh much more than mine so the load should be about the same. Big tires 3.50 gears.
anyway any help would be great. I did look for some kind of tune up kit for this but I may have to call Edelbrock directly. I don’t like these carbs and many of my old streetrod guys have had problems with them. Dyers used to have a special tuning kit for these so maybe I can check with them.

imgetting pretty old with vision and hearing issues..

one think I would like to pass on which comes from my doctors.

get out and get exercise. Just walking is great. I’m one of few from my groups that played sports most of my life. I’d still plat baseball if I could see but I have to just settle fo helping my kids play sports.
oh yes stop smoking. I’ve lost two of my family already due to this. Including son only 50 yr old.

imwalk 3-5 miles every day rain or shine. It’s 97 deg time for evening walk.

thanks for reading.

byron

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
6-71 on chev 350 Edelbrock aluminum heads.

streetrod hendry j.

Msd ignition no vac advance.

ive been a long time contributor and user of this site.

a friend brought this streetrod over. It runs but nothing like my beloved Willys. Same color as the one on the site lead pictures.

he has 15-16 initial advance and 28-30 all in by 2000 rpm. It idles rough an smelly goes into roll occasionally. It’s a 350 near new 9. To 1 compression. Headers and normal stuff. Edelbrock 750 carbs with 6 psi fuel pressure.

I started of by explaining the value of an air/ fuel mixture gage like I used. These can tell a lot if you understand exactly how the carbs work.

I ran Holley carbs on mine and had very little issues with them. I’ve not done much with these carbs so I’m looking for some direction. It would appear that these née manifold referenced power circuit just as hollers do. We’ll do a plug test sat. But I don’t expect much mine never showed much unless I really got after it or went on longer cruises. Mine ran in the rain as well as freezing cold with no issues. I’d like to se vacuum advance on this one as I used it on mine very effectively. It gives a lot more advance idling which smoothed things out.I fixed several Holley carb motors with just vac advance and addition of AFR gage so you could see wat was going on in the carbs. Adjustable metering plates made tuning super easy even with roadside stops to make changes. Be sure to have fire extinguisher handy as gas gets spilled on hot parts.

his motor over heats eventually some but not excessively. Big fan and nice shroude. However he runs no thermostat. I told him to use 160-180 then we can look further. No thermostat allows too much flow not enough time to soak up heat. I had 180 in mine never over heated even with the ac running and idling in traffic.. he has a bds scoop just like mine with the air cleaners. Again mine was trouble free and an item I serviced once a year. His car doesn’t weigh much more than mine so the load should be about the same. Big tires 3.50 gears.
anyway any help would be great. I did look for some kind of tune up kit for this but I may have to call Edelbrock directly. I don’t like these carbs and many of my old streetrod guys have had problems with them. Dyers used to have a special tuning kit for these so maybe I can check with them.

imgetting pretty old with vision and hearing issues..

one think I would like to pass on which comes from my doctors.

get out and get exercise. Just walking is great. I’m one of few from my groups that played sports most of my life. I’d still plat baseball if I could see but I have to just settle fo helping my kids play sports.
oh yes stop smoking. I’ve lost two of my family already due to this. Including son only 50 yr old.

imwalk 3-5 miles every day rain or shine. It’s 97 deg time for evening walk.

thanks for reading.

byron
I wanted to pass on an up date of this friend blower project
first he has built one of the nicest Henry j street rods I’ve ever seen. Everything is well done and well thought out.

turns out the motor came from Big AS toy shop. It has AFR heads rather than the Edelbrock heads. Dyne sheet shows over 525 hp..
so we checked the timing today. Total is 30 with timing locked out. This is not my favorite but it does work. The motor started right up and once warmed up ran great. No it did show signs of being too lean during warm up and did pop once very lightly.no chokes so probably common issue. It idles about 900. A tad faster than I’d like but we left it alone for now. As ionce warmed up I had the feeling it was a little lean from the way it acted with quicker acceleration.I seemed to want more accelerator pump but there is no more adjustment.. the Holley double pumpers with the bigger pumps im used to just don’t have this right on the edge feel. It runs fine on the road but I think it needs more fuel on cruise and acceleration.. I think an AFR gage would confirm this. I don’t know much about these carbs so that’s why I’m posting. As many as are used in this application an Edelbrock makes blower motors and kits I would think they have it figured out and may have a kit. I’ll have to call and check.we only went for a short spin and didn’t get after it. Also the throttle is very sensitive but there is no real way to fix this without a complete redo of the gas pedal assembly. locar linkage. With a 700r4 and big tires this car will rip your head off just tickling the gas. It’s actually hard to drive easy. LOL. My Willys with Holley 750 blower carbs was much easier to drive in traffic. He is going to drop the blower down to 5% under instead of 1 to 1. We are going to try to hook a pair of vac gages so both carb and blower vac/boost can be read.
one other thing I’d like to add to the debate. He has holes in the back of the fan shroud. I may have commented on this years ago as I didn’t think this was a good idea. . The idea being that they might allow more air through the radiator. Especially going highway speeds. I has a single puller fan with curved blades and did not have cooling issues with no louvers or holes. My thought was the fan was pulling all it could through the radiator an without compressive fluid flow analysis by computer it was a peeing in the wind argument. I did this analysis for a living so probably can speak for it worthinessand complexity.if holes were better I think you would see them on modern cars. , after all there are hundreds of engineers involved in the auto industry. I’ve been there and sat in endleless meetings discussing BS ideas and unfounded theories. Just setting up an accurate test would be pretty complex. I say just use what is known to work and leave the rest for window dressing.. I did compare straight blade fan vs curved on my Willys but even this test was flawed because there wasn’t anyway to accurately measure airflow other than read the temp gage. 180 vs 190. Same day test. Same fan shroud. Straight blade fan burned up next day. So which was Berger? $125 for new straight blade $100 for curved blade but curved was still working. No contest here.
this motor came from a shop that makes the most blower motors in one facility in the country so it hard to argue with that. They just did not provide much info on the carbs in their documentation. Nice Dino charts however. The BDSblower really talks when it’s running. This whole car is really nice. Tilt front end makes checking this super easy. He did a great job of building. He is going to a carb shop that doe tons of Edelbrock carbs tomorrow so hopefully there will be an update. There are several books on these carbs too. Unfortunately my eyesight is worse than I thought. We put a white mark at 30 degrees on the tape so I could see it with the timing light. But it was right on.it’s possible to have picked up something in the carbs but does have filter an nice pressure regulator. More later.

byron

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to pass on an up date of this friend blower project
first he has built one of the nicest Henry j street rods I’ve ever seen. Everything is well done and well thought out.

turns out the motor came from Big AS toy shop. It has AFR heads rather than the Edelbrock heads. Dyne sheet shows over 525 hp..
so we checked the timing today. Total is 30 with timing locked out. This is not my favorite but it does work. The motor started right up and once warmed up ran great. No it did show signs of being too lean during warm up and did pop once very lightly.no chokes so probably common issue. It idles about 900. A tad faster than I’d like but we left it alone for now. As ionce warmed up I had the feeling it was a little lean from the way it acted with quicker acceleration.I seemed to want more accelerator pump but there is no more adjustment.. the Holley double pumpers with the bigger pumps im used to just don’t have this right on the edge feel. It runs fine on the road but I think it needs more fuel on cruise and acceleration.. I think an AFR gage would confirm this. I don’t know much about these carbs so that’s why I’m posting. As many as are used in this application an Edelbrock makes blower motors and kits I would think they have it figured out and may have a kit. I’ll have to call and check.we only went for a short spin and didn’t get after it. Also the throttle is very sensitive but there is no real way to fix this without a complete redo of the gas pedal assembly. locar linkage. With a 700r4 and big tires this car will rip your head off just tickling the gas. It’s actually hard to drive easy. LOL. My Willys with Holley 750 blower carbs was much easier to drive in traffic. He is going to drop the blower down to 5% under instead of 1 to 1. We are going to try to hook a pair of vac gages so both carb and blower vac/boost can be read.
one other thing I’d like to add to the debate. He has holes in the back of the fan shroud. I may have commented on this years ago as I didn’t think this was a good idea. . The idea being that they might allow more air through the radiator. Especially going highway speeds. I has a single puller fan with curved blades and did not have cooling issues with no louvers or holes. My thought was the fan was pulling all it could through the radiator an without compressive fluid flow analysis by computer it was a peeing in the wind argument. I did this analysis for a living so probably can speak for it worthinessand complexity.if holes were better I think you would see them on modern cars. , after all there are hundreds of engineers involved in the auto industry. I’ve been there and sat in endleless meetings discussing BS ideas and unfounded theories. Just setting up an accurate test would be pretty complex. I say just use what is known to work and leave the rest for window dressing.. I did compare straight blade fan vs curved on my Willys but even this test was flawed because there wasn’t anyway to accurately measure airflow other than read the temp gage. 180 vs 190. Same day test. Same fan shroud. Straight blade fan burned up next day. So which was Berger? $125 for new straight blade $100 for curved blade but curved was still working. No contest here.
this motor came from a shop that makes the most blower motors in one facility in the country so it hard to argue with that. They just did not provide much info on the carbs in their documentation. Nice Dino charts however. The BDSblower really talks when it’s running. This whole car is really nice. Tilt front end makes checking this super easy. He did a great job of building. He is going to a carb shop that doe tons of Edelbrock carbs tomorrow so hopefully there will be an update. There are several books on these carbs too. Unfortunately my eyesight is worse than I thought. We put a white mark at 30 degrees on the tape so I could see it with the timing light. But it was right on.it’s possible to have picked up something in the carbs but does have filter an nice pressure regulator. More later.

byron
It’s Big Als toy shop. Eyesight again sorry.

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi sgain.I wish the was a section just fo carb blower projects.
but as my previous posts of years ago I’ll try to update as we go.
took the blower and carbs to carb shop but didn’t get much help.apparently either the big als shop or Edelbrock had a blower kit installed. There were some light springs on the metering rods an messy gaskets that were no replaced. Haven’t run the motor yet. I did look on Edelbrock site and found huge number of pages going over calibration of these carbs for different events, even off rod rough ride things. Just as with the Holley set up I used I’m recommending an AFR gage so you can see what is going on in different conditions. This will give you a clue as to what areas to look at.. there are lots of tuning charts on Edelbrock site. As well as recommended parts. I’d suggest ordering direct from Edelbrock unless a good supplier can be found.

no this car/motor runs nice when warmed up. No chokes shows a lean ness while while warmin up. I did not have chokes on my Holley and never had a problem warming up. I think part of this was because I had vacuum advance so lots of idle advance.
ive argued many times about locked out advance. My feeling is that if you Do this you must be able to have enough total to make the idle work. This usually leads to kick back on the starter especially when hot. In the old days we ran magnetos with locked advance but dragsters were push started so there was never kick back.even the funny car had locked advance but it was spun over at nearly 600 rpm before the switch was turned on. Even with as much as 50 deg total there was no problem. So for street gas with locked advance you really need separat start switch and cranking switch. Get the motor spinning then hit the ignition switch. It will work this way fine but it’s inconvient. This motor I’m working on runs ver nice.there are half a dozen Dino pages with 600+ hp. So it’s very strong.torque is almost flat. A real stump puller. It’s a blistering run just as my Willys was. So hot that you simply could not safety jump on it on the street. Anyway standing next to the running motor it just has a lean feeling. We are going to try just ricing the idle screws slightly. It does no backfire . I suspect during Dino pulls that was fixed. Probably what the internal springs are for.

id be interested in others who have do good things with these carbs.
a humeroud thing was the carb shop guy told the owner it was way over carved. Shows he really knows nothing about carb supercharged motors. I don’t think you can over carb a blower motor. I’ve seen dominators on these with no problems. I had 750 do on mine and it never backfired in it’s like. Nearly 30k miles when I sold it.
we hit the thottle a couple times once warmed and it revel instantly. As I was going through the Edelbrock pages there was something about increasing the pump shot. There are larger jets for this but it indicated a longer stroke was available. I’ll have to go back over this. It will be a couple days before I get back to work on this hot rod. But I’ll update what we do.

byron

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for misspelling . I have a double vision issue so typing is extremely difficult. Even with a full page magnifier over the keyboard it easy to miss a key occasionally.

byron

·
More for Less Racer
20,117 Posts
Some of the newer Edelbrock carbs have jettable pump shot exit passages in the booster cluster.
Does the same thing as changing the pump nozzle("shooter") on a Holley.

All the older Edelbrock stuff you just have to hand drill, using a micro drill assortment and pin vise. The pump exit passages are direct drilled into the booster cluster assembly.

The lever/link adjustment on the Edelbrock is the same function as the accelerator pump cam on a Holley

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I understand that. Thanks. This blower cab set up already has the pump stroke in the max location. My question or comment is that the volume is no as much as the Holley. I had 50 cc pumps on mine and you could clearly see on the AFRgage the change as you squeezed the throttle. On some of the rough roads we traveled on in the country the slight bumping of the gas pedal was enough to change the general running picture to slightly richer. It showed in mpg too. I just lived with it even though it was an easy adjustment but I enjoyed cruising much more than roadside tuning. I don’t think these Edelbrock carbs have the total volume available. I did see an up grade kit to change the hole pivot point for a larger volume but until we get further into this set up I think being conservative , it’s seems ok for now so leave it alone. I’m pushing him to install an AFR gage before much is done that is not proven.
my Holley with 4 50 cc pumps never caused a backfire. There might be a little black smoke but the tire smoke blended this so it wasn’t noticeable. It never gulped with too much pump shot either. Boost is so instant with these blowers that it’s hard to get too much Gas. When the car onlyweighs 2800 pounds and you have 600 hp things happen very quickly. I think I only did one long dry burn out with the car. That was all the thrill I needed. 1/8 mile burn outs with the funny car were actually mor fun with smoke coming out of every opening in the car. Surprising how many there are.
it’s been incredibly hot here so we are staying in the sc shop. 98 deg at sunset last night.
byron

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Byron!

Good to see you still at it brother!

Please don't apologize; you are still an asset to the community, and its easy to understand your messages. Honest. If it is uncomfortable for you; there are programs like "Dragon Dictate - Naturally Speaking" and various phone or tablet programs (called 'apps' - shorthand for applications). One of my friends is completely blind, and he types, uses a cellphone etc.

I did a big handful of gearboxes for guys with Big Al engines. Al built a consistent product for sure. He's passed on; and they're still building some bombastic chevys. But he always did the old "lock it out and forget it" with the distributor. Most of his customers like that bit of "racecar" stuff; AND most guys like to hear the blower roll. You are like me; We believe theres no reason you cant put a big honkin blower on there with a mild cam, AC and mechanical/vacuum advance....you really CAN have your cake and eat it too.
The guys here will help you get it hammered out - I believe that. :)

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just thought I’d do a short update on progress of this project. We visited the carb shop yesterday and picked up the carbs. Turns out there was some water in the carbs from unknown source. Th3 car had been sitting over most of the winter in a well heated shop so it may have been jud5 normal from our vastly changing weather her. I never had issues myself over the many years I had my Willys but it does happen here especially on the marina where I lived for two years.
anyway. My thought was that big al’s builds more supercharged motors in one place than most shops in the country combined so I think they know these pretty well. I finally did get to read the instructions that came with the motor. They specifically highlighted that it was important to leave the carbs alone as they were properly modified and not to change anything without calling them first. I thought that was pretty cool. The carb shop wanted to change things as they had not see the internal mods before. The owner and I both told the shop to just clean the carbs, put new gaskets in but don’t change anything. That was reluctantly done.

there are very specific instructions on operating and engine break in in the instruction pages. Fortunately this has been done. Even the idle mixture screws have a note on them.
we did check the timing and it was exactly where it was supposed to be. We didn’t quite get done Friday but we’ll get after it again Monday. We every thing back together however. Of note is that the instructions said not to use a PCV as the carbs have been set up to use breathers instead. Those are on the motor now and working. I’m excited to continue with this as this motor is really strong.it was dynontested up to 6500 rpm so it is plenty sturdy. We did lower the under drive to 10% under. The instructions said this would lower the power a little. However there is far more power than really needed. LOL. We did change the throttle pedal slightly to make a slower ratio on the pedal. This will make street driving easier. Otherwise I’m having fun reliving the excitement of a new project. Oh, yes, another item I had forgotten about. The instruction sheet note grounding the block cast iron and heads, aluminum. Separately. I ran into this way back in ancient times. I don’t remember where but , it comes from uncertatain grounding between the heads with composite gaskets. The thought is that the studs or bolts do not provide sure grounding. This car does have this so we don’t need to change or add anything. I do remember doing this on my Willys. Whethe4 it did any thing or not I never tested it but I never had grounding issues either. I know from machine design I ran into this in industry. As a mech eng I worked closely with the electrical engineers on many projects. The aerospace stuff was very specific on grounding things of different materials. So just something to consider. That’s about it for now. I’ll update again next week. Possibly I can get a picture of this nice hot rod. What a treat. Spend all day in the shop and not eve have to wipe hands off.
byron.

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, here I am back again. Good news and questions.

today the owner installed the event waterless coolant. You have to really dry out the system first. I think the instructions said only 3% water max. So my friend drained them the AF , rinsed the motor cooling system then forced air through it with the shop vac to real dry it out. Then filled with the evans waterless coolant. Now this stuff is expensive so no leaks permitted. He has done a perfect job on this car I’m impressed, I’m notoriously un impressed, and because of my engineering time always questioning things, to the point of being a pest.LOL . I was really skeptical of the claims of this stuff but the local circle track guys claim it mystery stuff. Anyway. We filled the system exactly as instructions said. Leaving the radiator just a little low for expansion, then bled a little air out back by the temp gage fitting. Every thing looked good so we fired it up ( more on this in a few minutes), the motor ran perfectly idling about 1,000 rpm. No rolling or back fires. We let it run watching the temp gage and checking the upper and lower hose fitting temps. We go 15-20 deg difference which cust support said was good. We shut it off then re adjusted blower belt to about 1” loose which was what the instructions said. This is much looser than I ran but it seemed ok when warmed up.we ran it again for about 1/2 hour this time. Now it was 91 deg in the shop and the temp finally got to 190 deg. That’s hard to be.I even. But it was just purring. My friend popped the radiator cap and it blew off spraying some hot coolant on him. His arm didn’t blister but we went down to ER and they got some cream to put on it. We then started it again. Looking in the cap side of the radiator it looks like a waterfall with the coolant flowing. I have to say this stuff was just amazing. Evans told us we would not need a thermostat and the circle track guys said they use it with a couple different size washers with the center holes opened as needed. Now this car has nice close fitting shroud and curved blade fan. It’s exactly the same radiator and fan I used years ago. We didn’t get to go for a ride today as his arm was getting red so we called it a day. We try again tomorrow.

now questions and comments. He does have some holes in the sides of the shroud. Now many years ago I worked on some aerospace things and receive some excellent training on fluid dynamics. Air is a fluid. Technically a compressible fluid so it has some other rules to go with it. I’m no MIT TECH GRAD BUT GETTING ONE ON ONE TRAINING FROM PHD GUYS WAS INVALUABLE. I HAD ACCESS TO TOP OF THE LINE COMPUTERS CREATED JUST FOR THIS MATH INTENSIVE STUFF. I5 OFTEN TOOK A WHOLE WEEKEND TO PROCESS A PROBLE OR TEST. Naturally with interest in rc airplanes an d race cars I used plenty of my own time testing and analyzing my hobby interests. I modeled trucks and rondeau covers. Various stream lining things I deep into K9 dog training and even modeled my fog with his equipment to see if I could improve his speed. Don’t laugh I’m crazy even today in retirement about engineering. I love to talk about this stuff especially those with good background. I’m pretty old to be thinking this hard anymore all my sports were played to win an use any legal advantage possible. I improved the dog by physical conditioning aerodynamics didn’t do much but the Maliois was king of speed earning nick name of furry bully, my German Shepherd becam a furry cannon.
no car stuff. I did the fan shroud and found that holes an louvers were just eye candy causing disruption of air flow. Now rubber flaps for cars that could go fast enough to develop pressure in front of the radiator did some good but actually if you could pack clean flowing air all across the radiator , the fan just became more efficient . Essentially like a prop. Is just didn’t slip as much. It’s much more effective to get the air to the radiator so the fan can do it’s job.I went to a lot of trouble sealing my fan shroud and fan. Did it work. Yes, I never really had cooling issues eve on very hot days sitting in traffic with the acc on.
this car has a well done shroud except for the holes. I did put my hand but the holes but I couldn’t feel any difference. He has a more open grill than I did so I expect we’ll see no issues. This new coolant, to me, is interesting. Miracle things don’t happrn very often but the circle track guys say this is that level.it’s going to be in the mid 90’s tomorrow when we get out so a good test day. I don’t understand how it runs so cool compared to AF but it does. I don’t have anMSDS sheet so don’t know some properties, but it does wok.
nex, I like some feedback on the louvers and holes And flaps. Few do detailed before and after tests so often become only guesstimates. This is the nicest blower motor like this I’ve had contact with. I like to think al the trials I went through get what I had was good but this one beats me hands down. I was taught to,play your best every time. If you could walk off the field and say you played the best you had but the other guy just plain had more. You could still hold your head up. Shake his hand
hand say nice game.
in this case this one is the great player.

I can’t wait to try some more Tomorrow.
byron

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, here I am back again. Good news and questions.

today the owner installed the event waterless coolant. You have to really dry out the system first. I think the instructions said only 3% water max. So my friend drained them the AF , rinsed the motor cooling system then forced air through it with the shop vac to real dry it out. Then filled with the evans waterless coolant. Now this stuff is expensive so no leaks permitted. He has done a perfect job on this car I’m impressed, I’m notoriously un impressed, and because of my engineering time always questioning things, to the point of being a pest.LOL . I was really skeptical of the claims of this stuff but the local circle track guys claim it mystery stuff. Anyway. We filled the system exactly as instructions said. Leaving the radiator just a little low for expansion, then bled a little air out back by the temp gage fitting. Every thing looked good so we fired it up ( more on this in a few minutes), the motor ran perfectly idling about 1,000 rpm. No rolling or back fires. We let it run watching the temp gage and checking the upper and lower hose fitting temps. We go 15-20 deg difference which cust support said was good. We shut it off then re adjusted blower belt to about 1” loose which was what the instructions said. This is much looser than I ran but it seemed ok when warmed up.we ran it again for about 1/2 hour this time. Now it was 91 deg in the shop and the temp finally got to 190 deg. That’s hard to be.I even. But it was just purring. My friend popped the radiator cap and it blew off spraying some hot coolant on him. His arm didn’t blister but we went down to ER and they got some cream to put on it. We then started it again. Looking in the cap side of the radiator it looks like a waterfall with the coolant flowing. I have to say this stuff was just amazing. Evans told us we would not need a thermostat and the circle track guys said they use it with a couple different size washers with the center holes opened as needed. Now this car has nice close fitting shroud and curved blade fan. It’s exactly the same radiator and fan I used years ago. We didn’t get to go for a ride today as his arm was getting red so we called it a day. We try again tomorrow.

now questions and comments. He does have some holes in the sides of the shroud. Now many years ago I worked on some aerospace things and receive some excellent training on fluid dynamics. Air is a fluid. Technically a compressible fluid so it has some other rules to go with it. I’m no MIT TECH GRAD BUT GETTING ONE ON ONE TRAINING FROM PHD GUYS WAS INVALUABLE. I HAD ACCESS TO TOP OF THE LINE COMPUTERS CREATED JUST FOR THIS MATH INTENSIVE STUFF. I5 OFTEN TOOK A WHOLE WEEKEND TO PROCESS A PROBLE OR TEST. Naturally with interest in rc airplanes an d race cars I used plenty of my own time testing and analyzing my hobby interests. I modeled trucks and rondeau covers. Various stream lining things I deep into K9 dog training and even modeled my fog with his equipment to see if I could improve his speed. Don’t laugh I’m crazy even today in retirement about engineering. I love to talk about this stuff especially those with good background. I’m pretty old to be thinking this hard anymore all my sports were played to win an use any legal advantage possible. I improved the dog by physical conditioning aerodynamics didn’t do much but the Maliois was king of speed earning nick name of furry bully, my German Shepherd becam a furry cannon.
no car stuff. I did the fan shroud and found that holes an louvers were just eye candy causing disruption of air flow. Now rubber flaps for cars that could go fast enough to develop pressure in front of the radiator did some good but actually if you could pack clean flowing air all across the radiator , the fan just became more efficient . Essentially like a prop. Is just didn’t slip as much. It’s much more effective to get the air to the radiator so the fan can do it’s job.I went to a lot of trouble sealing my fan shroud and fan. Did it work. Yes, I never really had cooling issues eve on very hot days sitting in traffic with the acc on.
this car has a well done shroud except for the holes. I did put my hand but the holes but I couldn’t feel any difference. He has a more open grill than I did so I expect we’ll see no issues. This new coolant, to me, is interesting. Miracle things don’t happrn very often but the circle track guys say this is that level.it’s going to be in the mid 90’s tomorrow when we get out so a good test day. I don’t understand how it runs so cool compared to AF but it does. I don’t have anMSDS sheet so don’t know some properties, but it does wok.
nex, I like some feedback on the louvers and holes And flaps. Few do detailed before and after tests so often become only guesstimates. This is the nicest blower motor like this I’ve had contact with. I like to think al the trials I went through get what I had was good but this one beats me hands down. I was taught to,play your best every time. If you could walk off the field and say you played the best you had but the other guy just plain had more. You could still hold your head up. Shake his hand
hand say nice game.
in this case this one is the great player.

I can’t wait to try some more Tomorrow.
byron
Sorry for the spelling, I didn’t notice it until to day. We are going to try for a test ride later.

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The owner did a simple test today. Held a kleanix over the shroud holes and it was sucked flat against the holes so it confirms my tests and thoughts. He did cover them up after a short spin today. I’ll go over there tomorrow for a longer drive. No overheating at all but it was only 83 deg today. Warmer tomorrow.
so the bottom line is no holes or louvers except maybe rubber flaps but they would need testing. Possibly photographs while driving.

byron

·
bentwings
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, boy, what a fun afternoon! We took the car for a spin to get gas and drive around. It was 85 deg so pretty hot almost no wind. The car started up just like a normal car but much more exciting sound! No kick back just crank a turn or so and it was running.it’s got a 3500. Converter so it doesn’t jump much going into gear. Idles about 1000 in gear. Almost half hour drive to the gas station. He hit the gas a couple times and the car really jumps! Rides a little stiff but it has straight axel with rack and pinion and traditional gasser ladder bars. But nice quiet except for exhaust ride. It’s just super fun riding in a car that really works the way it’s supposed to. It got up to 2000 f by the time we got through traffic to the station. We filled up and even though the temp gage said 200f it spun over with no hard starting. Highest it got was 210 f. Going down the road. He made one good blast and it ran perfect. No backfire or even a hint. It really sets you back in the seat! I don’t know if he is going to back to the 50’s or not. It’s a huge event very hot on a day like today and thousands of people. We checked top hose vs bottom hose temp at about 30 deg difference so about as good as it gets. Headers ere less than 400 anywhere. Blower was about 200f after driving. Elect fan works fine . About 10:deg cooler running down the road. Blocking the vent holes seemed to help. We got up to about 80mph for a few miles with no change in temp at all.idles about 1000 in gear warm. The throttle stop screw is very sensitive so we just left it alone. No Detroit roll or any of that nonsense. It just purrs.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts