Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with this pump? I purchased Edelbrock Quiet-Flo Electric Fuel Pumps 1791 about a year ago and I'm sure it is out of warranty now. It has only been driven 100 miles and mostly short test drives under 20 miles. It always worked well and was quiet.

I took the car out for a longer drive to see how it would do and after 30 miles it started stalling out. Mostly when stopping. I Actually thought it was ignition the way it cut off.

I got back home and popped the hood, turned on the key and glanced over to my fuel gauge and noticed I had less than 3 psi. After it sat about an hour I flipped it on again and had 6psi again, but a noisy pump. I drove it around for an hour with the gauge strapped up to my windshield and watched it drop quickly down to 3psi, eventually to 1.5psi, but was quiet again like it should be.

In some of the reviews I went back to look at and 1 guy said he sanded the blades to move freely and solved the issue of low pressure. I'm not sure if I should trash it or try to fix it. Anybody else deal with these?

Attachments

·
NEVER SATISFIED !!
1,947 Posts
I would try to fix it before trashing the thing. If you fix it be sure to come back and update us on HOW you did it.

454 RATTLER

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I would begin here.....
800-416-8628 from 7:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday.
Tell 'em that you're not looking for "something for nothing", but that you would like instructions on how to make the pump work well again. It could be as simple as some balled-up rubber particles from a gas hose that is disintegrating from the inside of the hose due to alcohol in the fuel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I filed the impeller so the blades would move freely as recommended, and they were binding, but it didn't help. The pump wouldn't self prime, I had to prime it and then it wouldn't put out more than 4 psi and wouldn't adjust higher. Not sure why? Everything was brand new inside.

I'm considering the Carter P 4070.

What are you running in yours?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I had a Stewart Warner 240-A electric fuel pump on my 1955 Chevrolet with a 1970 Pontiac 455 engine with two Holley 4224 (660 CFM each) center-squirter carburetors with straight linkage. The engine idled and ran on all eight barrels.

The pump would run until the fuel pressure reached 8 psi and then the pump would shut off. It would start running again when the running fuel pressure dropped below 4 psi. I thought something was wrong with it but after talking to a couple of guys that had that pump, that was normal for that type.

My SW pump was mounted on the frame near the fuel tank with 3/8” fuel line from the tank to the fuel distribution block. The fuel line from tank to pump was attached to the rear-bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply. You would think that if you pay over $200 bucks for a pump that you would get a long lasting and dependable pump.

Back in the 80's when I had my shop I used to put a cheap cube style in-line electric pump on everything that wasn't fuel injected and it worked great, bullet proof, years of service. Had it on my Boss 302 w 4 48ida Weber's also.

I will check out the SW, right now I'm looking at the cheap Carter 4070 which specs meet my criteria or Aeromotive HO.

I don't mind a $200+ price tag, its not a lot of cash in the scheme of what we spend , but not when it craps out in the first 100 miles.

·
Magazines have “ISSUES”
994 Posts
Just a thought, is the gas cap vented,or fuel cell have a vent...

The slow down drift of the fuel pressure sure reads like there could be a vent problem, drive it with the cap removed ................. and stay close to home base LOL

Pep

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
There is a new Stewart Warner 240-A fuel pump on e-bay for $600. The Shelby 428 Cobras and Yenko 427 Camaros used those fuel pumps.

There are several pre-owned Stewart Warner 240-A fuel pumps and a rebuild kit on e-bay.

When I had that pump on my 1955 Chevrolet, it would run for no more than five seconds and then stop at 8 psi when I turned the ignition key to accessory. . Then I would start the engine.

A new Stewart Warner 240-A fuel pump cost about $45 in 1971.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vents

Just a thought, is the gas cap vented,or fuel cell have a vent...

The slow down drift of the fuel pressure sure reads like there could be a vent problem, drive it with the cap removed ................. and stay close to home base LOL

Pep
Thanks for that, Yes I have a roll over vent on the fuel tank.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aeromotive High Output Billet Fuel Pumps 11209

Decided to go with Aeromotive HO 11209, It wont need a regulator and wasn't too expensive. Will see how long it lasts and update this post.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I didn't see where you said the kind of carb(s) you're using, but if they're Edelbrocks or Carter AFB's, you're likely going to have trouble with them. The verbage on the pump you just bought says that the pump is internally metered at 7 psi. Now, if it's mounted at the rear, there will be some pressure drop getting gas to the front of the car, but again, you will have grief if the pressure at the carb(s) is over 5 psi and when I was using them, I would shoot for 4 3/4.

Please fellows, understand this.......more pressure on a carburetor does not equate to more horsepower. It equates to over-powering the needle and seat in the bowl and allowing the fuel pump to blow raw fuel into the intake manifold, creating a tuning nightmare that cannot be corrected until pressure is lowered.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I didn't see where you said the kind of carb(s) you're using, but if they're Edelbrocks or Carter AFB's, you're likely going to have trouble with them. The verbage on the pump you just bought says that the pump is internally metered at 7 psi. Now, if it's mounted at the rear, there will be some pressure drop getting gas to the front of the car, but again, you will have grief if the pressure at the carb(s) is over 5 psi and when I was using them, I would shoot for 4 3/4.

Please fellows, understand this.......more pressure on a carburetor does not equate to more horsepower. It equates to over-powering the needle and seat in the bowl and allowing the fuel pump to blow raw fuel into the intake manifold, creating a tuning nightmare that cannot be corrected until pressure is lowered.

You need large diameter lines to allow high volume, but high pressure is a no-no.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I filed the impeller so the blades would move freely as recommended, and they were binding, but it didn't help. The pump wouldn't self prime, I had to prime it and then it wouldn't put out more than 4 psi and wouldn't adjust higher. Not sure why? Everything was brand new inside.

I'm considering the Carter P 4070.

What are you running in yours?

I know my carter has a one year warranty. If it's from Summit they are really good about going just a little over the warranty period.

What part of the vanes did you file? The thickness or lengthwise? If lengthwise and filing the outer edge you will never get it good enough with a file for them to mate with the pump housing. If the inside edge of the vanes are a factory finish, you may be able to turn them around so the factory edge is against the housing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I installed a Walbro pump on my 65 ford truck with a Edelbrock carb. Put the pump on the frame under the tank (tank is behind the seat), installed a pressure regulator in the engine compartment with a return line back to the suction side of the pump. set the pressure at 4.5 psi.

My point is after researching the subject, Electric pumps need a pressure regulator. Trying to find an electric pump to supply the correct pressure and volume is almost impossible.

Get a pump with slightly more volume that you need for the horsepower you have and a slightly higher pressure. My walbro pump puts out about 11psi. I would not recommend installing a pressure regulator without a return line. This prevents dead heading the pump and prevents vapor lock. put the pump as close to the carburetor as possible within reason.

I used a Walbro pump because it can lift and the fuel line is out of the top of the tank, Also has a build in suction strainer. I installed another filter at the carb inlet.

Bite the bullet and do it right and do it once! Just my opinion

·
True Hotrodder
1,545 Posts
Edelbrock makes intake manifolds - they do really well at making those - get the message?

Reactions: Key Largo Realtor

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
walpro pump

you didn't mention the model of the pump, pressure or volume.

To me a high pressure fuel injection pump on a carburetor would be a last resort.

I need a high volume pump for the 502 big block , but low pressure 7 lbs for the Holley ,

I decided to go with the Aeromotive High Output Billet Fuel Pumps 11209, it has the right specs without reg. or return line.

So far it is working fine, if I have any more problems I will probably switch to an in tank high pressure pump regulator and return line (hope I don't).

When I ran my shop in the 70's and 80's we used an electric fuel pump without regulators and received years of service from them.
I believe today there has been a drastic drop in the quality of parts we buy.

I use to put a $35 - $50 electric pump on my 2,3 & 4 weber carb conversions without any issues.

Thanks for your input, I may have to go that route.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I personally don't like the idea of the return going back to the pump. If any vapor forms in the line. Like after it's turned off for 15 minutes then started up again. It will pump the vapor back to the pump and it's a gamble if it's going to do much after that until it sits and cools awhile.
You don't have to put a hole in the tank for the return, put it in the fill tube. Or maybe in a truck with the tank behind the seat, the fill tube is part of the tank? Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with you on a carburetor, you shouldn't need it with the proper fuel pump.

On fuel injected motors it is a necessity.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts