Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Edelbrock manifold on my 1936-5 window coupe's, 350 motor and it's discolored badly. Anyone know what would be the best cleaner to use on it, to get it back to looking good? I know it's going to take hours to clean out all the crevices, but I thought I'd ask to see if anything would make the job a little easier. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
aluminum wheel cleaner does well, you have to get the stuff that says not to use on coated wheels. check before getting it on any painted surface.

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
I always use lacquer thinner in a spray bottle and a small paint brush it takes off paint, oil, gas stains etc! works better then carb-cleaner, but I never let my intakes get too dirty, LOL and we don't know what yours is stained with! And don't get it on anything you don't want stripped like painted areas, Try that before blasting or anything else :thumbup: Its flamable and the fumes will get to you but so is carb-cleaner so have good ventilation and keep away from flame sources :mwink: if its cold outside like here the thinner will evaporate slower in the cold and do a better job. The intake needs to be cleaned before blasting or wheeling anyway:thumbup:

Jester

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I have an older Edelbrock manifold on my 1936-5 window coupe's, 350 motor and it's discolored badly. Anyone know what would be the best cleaner to use on it, to get it back to looking good? I know it's going to take hours to clean out all the crevices, but I thought I'd ask to see if anything would make the job a little easier. Thanks.
Easiest way to clean an intake manifold is to blast it in a glass bead cabinet. To keep it looking great after blasting, powder coat it in clear or some color that you like. There is another process following glass beading if you want a little more shine to the part.......vapor blasting.......

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is why all my aluminum intakes get painted. Hurts my feelings to cover them up, but nothing looks worse than a bare aluminum intake after a year or so of engine grime.

·
Registered
14,195 Posts
This is why all my aluminum intakes get painted. Hurts my feelings to cover them up, but nothing looks worse than a bare aluminum intake after a year or so of engine grime.
X2, unless one stays at it with polish every week it doesn't take long to look bad.

To the OP, painting aluminum is not as simple as steel, aluminum has to be stripped of its surface oxidation, a mild acid etch with something not stronger than vinegar, a rinse and dry followed with no wait time by a self etch primer, then color of choice.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,115 Posts

Polish it to a high shine, or get it Endurashine coated from new by Edelbrock, or have it Powder coated reflective silver.
Myself and friends have had a couple Jet-Hot ceramic coated, just like they do headers, and it looks great and lasts virtually forever.

Me, I hate seeing a painted over aluminum intake, can't stand the look, and hate the new black coated stuff offered on new intakes too.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,131 Posts
X2, unless one stays at it with polish every week it doesn't take long to look bad.

To the OP, painting aluminum is not as simple as steel, aluminum has to be stripped of its surface oxidation, a mild acid etch with something not stronger than vinegar, a rinse and dry followed with no wait time by a self etch primer, then color of choice.

Bogie
Ah my secret is out! X2 on the method :cool:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Myself and friends have had a couple Jet-Hot ceramic coated, just like they do headers, and it looks great and lasts virtually forever.

That sounds like the best solution for me. Not so shiny that I have to polish it like chrome, but a nice durable silver that will hold up to most if not all solvents I have in my shop. I had tried a clear coat but it didn't last, so right now mine is painted with silver header paint. And darn it, I lost the little USA flag made in America emblem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts