Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever try to make a 3 step metering rod for an edelbrock? Or maybe a tapered rod? A CV carb uses a tapered rod that adjusts with vacuum to help meter fuel, seems like you would be able to do the same thing with an edelbrock. Figuring out where to put the begenning and end of the taper seems like the hard part.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
"Why" is because it gives you much more tunability.
Not unless you can get them exactly alike, know what you actually can use, based on the available choice of jets and springs without precision machine tools and gauges as well as air/fuel ratio equipment.

My car fun time is more valuable then fooling around with some unknown quality or quantity. If I needed more 'tunability' I sure wouldn't spend my time with a carb when an EFI makes more sense where you can tune in infinite gas-air plus add ignition parameters with several aftermarket systems with a laptop.

If that's what you want to do, best of luck :thumbup:

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess what you're trying to say is simplicity makes better repeatability, which is true. As for efi, I love efi, but it isn't as fun to tinker with, you get it right and you're done. Carbs leave a lot more room for improvement.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Some older carter afb's had 3 step metering rods. The little plate that holds the rods in was shaped with a cup on top to allow room for the extra length. I had one once. Older carter strip kits had some extra 3 step rods included in them.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the carter the step was what got me thinking about this. that and my keihin cv carbs. the more i think about out, this shouldn't be too hard to do.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
It would be relatively easy to machine a 3 step rod, but it might be easier to just modify the overall taper of a rod to get what you want in the mid range.

Quadrajet rods come in different tapers and lengths, and there is a lot more variety than what is offered for the Edelbrock. However, the air valve setup and how it ties into the carb linkage is also more complicated on the Quadrajet. I'm not sure you could get the same results with the relatively simple vacuum-controlled rod/spring setup of the Edelbrock.

Bruce

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Anyone ever try to make a 3 step metering rod for an edelbrock? Or maybe a tapered rod? A CV carb uses a tapered rod that adjusts with vacuum to help meter fuel, seems like you would be able to do the same thing with an edelbrock. Figuring out where to put the begenning and end of the taper seems like the hard part.
Use the same beginning and ending points as the original rods use. Plot the sizes on a graph and you will come up w/a taper or tapers that intersects the two/three steps of the original rods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.