Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here and have a question about my project, a '46 chevy pickup. I have a 40k mile 400sbc from a '76 impala. I would like to use this engine in my '46 and have around 400-450hp. It looks like the performer rpm package (heads cam intake and carb) will get it in this range and take the guesswork out of building the top end, but will the stock shortblock (other than flat top pistons and balanced rotating assembly) handle it? It'll rarely if ever see more than 6000rpm. Any opinions on this particular set up? It'll be backed up by a 700r4 and 3:73 gears.

Thanks in advance for any input, great site too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
you want a roller cam.

my cousin got 420hp and 500tq out of a 383.
it was a 272 cam and 9.8 comp with iron heads.

and it idles smooth. and runs pump gas.
its going into a t-top camaro strip down model that had a v6, and its got a 5 speed.
and we are trying to see if we can get the fuel injection to work off of a 305.

its going to be pretty cool.

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
You know what, Jeff? You ask a really hard question!

Will a 40,000 mile 400sbc handle 400 hp?

Run a compression test. 150+ or MORE on a 400

If you feel capable pull a main cap and/or a rod(which I HATE to do b/c of ...well b/c ) and check the condidtion of the bearings. If there is copper showing it will not.

Since you say it will rarely ever see 6000 I would just run the compression test. If it passes that you should be ok.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Remember that the 400 has steam holes in the head and block. They must be there to cool it. I dont know if the edlebrock heads have stream holes or not. I have drilled 350 head for the holes with good results. I would recomend contacting edlebrock about this.

gary

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I wouldn't get the performer package. In my opinion the heads aren't that spectacular.

Just do your homework and come up with a list of items. You can always check back here to see what people say.

Over 400 hp on a 400 SBC is easy. Just make sure your compression ends up at least 10:1 with aluminum heads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts